Looking For Cheap Lead Smelting Furnace

aussie big bob

look in gun sites or rifle club classifieds as a lot of people no longer do their own refill and sell off their equipment and it is good quality. Have seen some old dentist ones and some very nifty jewelry ones about over the years as well in hobbt or industrial sections of auctions.

Is there somethin wrong with the wifes saucepan and stove!!!!!- Just joking but a wok ring burner and solid pan do work outdoors.

If you haven't done it before make sure you read up and get an experienced mate as it can be very dangerous if inexperienced

Edited by pelican

look in gun sites or rifle club classifieds as a lot of people no longer do their own refill and sell off their equipment and it is good quality. Have seen some old dentist ones and some very nifty jewelry ones about over the years as well in hobbt or industrial sections of auctions.

Is there somethin wrong with the wifes saucepan and stove!!!!!- Just joking but a wok ring burner and solid pan do work outdoors.

If you haven't done it before make sure you read up and get an experienced mate as it can be very dangerous if inexperienced

Pelican

I am using the :wife: pots but i'm finding that due to the size of the sinkers i am now making i need to look at a better way of melting large amounts of lead and getting it to the right temp for pouring.

This is why i dont think that the above smelters would be any goo as they would not hold enough lead.

cheers

bob

Bob , try going down to the Salvos or vinnies and see if they have a big soup pot or similar. Probably only cost a few dollars !!

Also the wok ring should generate enough heat to melt the lead.

Ross

I have bought one from the states which will do the job. It can hold 20lb of melted lead and has a bottom feed on it.

so thank's to everyone for there in put.

cheers

bob

I have bought one from the states which will do the job. It can hold 20lb of melted lead and has a bottom feed on it.

so thank's to everyone for there in put.

cheers

bob

Bit late I know , but for the information of other members, they sell Lee melting pots (20lb) at the Horsley Park gun shop. With your order from the states make sure you emphasis you want the export 220 volt model, not the local 110v. Even if you have told them send a reminder email to make sure, as I have received a 110 volt model on more than one occasion

When you get the pot, make sure you dont drop it or treat it to roughly. The heating element has a ceramic cover on it and the more this cover is cracked or broken, the less heat is produced.

Bit late I know , but for the information of other members, they sell Lee melting pots (20lb) at the Horsley Park gun shop. With your order from the states make sure you emphasis you want the export 220 volt model, not the local 110v. Even if you have told them send a reminder email to make sure, as I have received a 110 volt model on more than one occasion

When you get the pot, make sure you dont drop it or treat it to roughly. The heating element has a ceramic cover on it and the more this cover is cracked or broken, the less heat is produced.

thank's for that info mick.

i will make sure that i do send them a reminder and will also treat it with a bit of care. it is also ashame that the shop you mention did not come up in my google search as i could have just run over there and picked one up.

o well least i know this for next time

cheers

bob

• 4 weeks later...

Ok Raiders

I finely got my lee pro 4 20 pot from the states and works fine except for the hight problem.

The melting pot was not high enough to get my large moulds unders it so the only thing to do

was to mod and mod i have done. So now with the mods done i can fit my 3kg moulds under it.

This pot is so good i can pour into a cold mould without choking it in the neck.

So i thought i would share some photos.

cheeers

bob

post-2934-1208419564_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1208419579_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1208419592_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussie big bob

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, what sort of dollars are we talking including freight?

Mariner 31

It is much cheaper to by it from the gun shop at wetherill park $150 :thumbup: it cost me with postage $190. :ranting2:

But this what happens when you are in a rush. :05:

P/s sorry it took so long to reply

cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

• 2 months later...

Luke

As promised I have now added the picture's for my Browns Mountain sinker moulds.

These are the moulds and sinkers that i am making today.

You will find that making the moulds is not hard and are far cheaper than buying them.

The water pipe that i have used properly cost $2 so if you can use a hacksaw and have someone who can weld you will save heaps by making them yourself and there is no limit to what weight you want.

So with your new lee pro 20 smelter you should have no problems making sinkers from 0 to 3 kg at 1/3 their cost

Cheers

Bob

P/s always take care when melting lead and the sinkers in the photo weigh 3kg

post-2934-1216112178_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1216112191_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1216112205_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1216112218_thumb.jpg

post-2934-1216112229_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussie big bob

Thanks bob,

Just a question, does the half cut pipe fit into the full pipe for puoring of lead?

Cheers

Luke

Luke

No

The full pipe was just to show you what it looked like before the cut. To hold the two halfs together just use a hose clamp from supercheap.

Here is just another handy hint, mould a pice of al foil onto the end to shut of any leaks if your cut is a bit off and once you have moulded this foil you can use it over and over again the same as the hose clamps and pipe

Cheers

bob