Double Preference Bimini Twist Or Aussie Plat?

Hi All,

Has anyone got a preference on tying a double for my 24kg outfits. (mono)

I am currently running a Double Aussie plat but not happy with the tidiness of the knot. Its a clean knot on heavy braid bit not on mono.

I have decided to run wind-on leader and deciding weather I should run the plat or the Bimini.

I've read that the Bimini is not as strong as the plat.

Any suggestions??

Edited by Katari

Hi All,

Has anyone got a preference on tying a double for my 24kg outfits. (mono)

I am currently running a Double Aussie plat but not happy with the tidiness of the knot.

Any suggestions??

Katari...

Most guy's i know choose the plait as the preferred option for doing there double in mono

you mention your not happy with the tidiness would this be in the plaiting itself?????

or the finishing off the plait..... plaiting the loose end back into its self finishes

off neater than finishing with a series of half hitches although if you do finish in that way

alternating the half hitches on opposite sides of themselves tidies it up heaps

failing the above an application to the plait of..... plati bond or.knot sense or something similar on the market

cover's everything up.....the obvious point there though is you have to be confident you are

doing everything correctly in the first place........and if that is so then the finished plait would look very neat

Cheers Warnie....

Katari...

Most guy's i know choose the plait as the preferred option for doing there double in mono

you mention your not happy with the tidiness would this be in the plaiting itself?????

or the finishing off the plait..... plaiting the loose end back into its self finishes

off neater than finishing with a series of half hitches although if you do finish in that way

alternating the half hitches on opposite sides of themselves tidies it up heaps

failing the above an application to the plait of..... plati bond or.knot sense or something similar on the market

cover's everything up.....the obvious point there though is you have to be confident you are

doing everything correctly in the first place........and if that is so then the finished plait would look very neat

Cheers Warnie....

Hey Warnie,

In finishing the plait and plaitting the tag end back into itself - do you do this by folding the tag end back along itself to form a loop - then plaitting this loop into the main plait for 3 or 4 plaits. Then take your entire double and pass it through the loop formed by the tag end. Finished by gently pulling on the tag to end up to snug up any slack??

I am pretty sure this is how the knot is demonstrated in the Between the Lines CD (my bible at the moment!)..

I am very interested as we lost our first ever fish on Sunday (80kg stripe out of Port Stephens) - and I think it was the plait that was the weakpoint... It was either there OR it was the knot connecting the double to the snap-swivel (I tied a uni knot with the doubled Braid straight to the swivel).

What knot would you recommend to connect the double to the snap swivel (assuming you run one).

Cheers,

Andy

Hey Warnie,

In finishing the plait and plaitting the tag end back into itself - do you do this by folding the tag end back along itself to form a loop - then plaitting this loop into the main plait for 3 or 4 plaits. Then take your entire double and pass it through the loop formed by the tag end. Finished by gently pulling on the tag to end up to snug up any slack??

I am pretty sure this is how the knot is demonstrated in the Between the Lines CD (my bible at the moment!)..

I am very interested as we lost our first ever fish on Sunday (80kg stripe out of Port Stephens) - and I think it was the plait that was the weakpoint... It was either there OR it was the knot connecting the double to the snap-swivel (I tied a uni knot with the doubled Braid straight to the swivel).

What knot would you recommend to connect the double to the snap swivel (assuming you run one).

Cheers,

Andy

Andy....

Firstly shame about you not staying connected to the stripe and i would like to know more about the

circumstances involving the method was it on a lure or were you livebaiting for example...

Yes to how you described finishing the plait... and keep on reading your bible as you wont get much better

for you to be able to refer to..

I am interested to know why you feel the plait was the weak link...

i say this for on reflection and when i think about it......... when it's got to the stage of a fight and the time as

come for what ever the reason and the line is singing and pinging and every body on board start's to flinch and cringe.............the thought never enter's my mind off the plait letting go more so to either the line

breaking or a crimp letting go..... so much is the confidence accredited to the plait and in fact i couldn't

tell you when or if it ever has failed before some thing else has............

and would like to know from some of the other boy's on here were there thought's would lay...

I suspect the other choice been the knot on the double to the swivel as the culprit

i my self use a uni to achieve this connection...

you ask if i run one?????

would that be a double or a swivel which i would answer most definently yes to both....

I incorporate a 2 mtr double along with a 3 mtr leader on both my lures and traces for live baiting...

i also use uv knot sense which i find great to use...i apply to both the start and in paticular

the tag of the finish on the plait allowing me to trim the tag very close to the plait you will find

this allow's the plait to run very smoothly through the roller's on the rod...but also elimlnates what can

commonly happens in a plait were the plait elongates under stress and when recovered the start

looks like it's starting to unravel and becoming untidy.... most likely from it originally not been plaited tight enough at the start......

The one good thing that comes out of loosing a fish is the fact of there being more questions asked than

you have answers for but this is a valuable part of the learning curve and a process that we all need to go through and whilst it can be described and you can read all about it... it can't compare with actually experiancing first hand with your tackle with either the jubilation or dissapointment with which either of the two outcomes will apply......

also you said a uni with the braid doubled to the swivel by that am i presuming you are running braid

as your main line then if that be so!!!!!!! start by getting rid of the braid and switch over to a good quality mono......

Cheers Warnie.....

Andy,

I agree with Warnie. The plait is the strongest part of the connection. When tying the plait you must ensure that each turn of the mono is done with pressure, keeping the plait tight as possible this prevents the plait from pulling down upon itself creating the unravel at the begin that warnie talks about. I think with that striped you dropped had alot to do with the lack of mono - mono provides stretch, braid has none (very little in comparison). As for the connection to the sampo I prefer the uni, however since I dropped a good blue a few weeks ago which let go at the swivel, I am trialing the Cats Paw knot which is essentially a rotating loop through the swivel and pulling down tight. Does anyone use this knot - positive or negative???

If you are to use braid, then a top shot of mono ( I use about 150yds of 24kg ) with 80lb braid. The connection knot is a double uni.

Anyway, best of luck next time with those billfish.

Cheers,

Rabs

Edited by Rabs

Guest Big-Banana

Cats Paw would be a goer there for the swivel to double connection.

Just on doubles, what are spider hitches like? Sometimes I'm in such a rush to rerig and a plaits a bit iffy in this type of situation...

I As for the connection to the sampo I prefer the uni, however since I dropped a good blue a few weeks ago which let go at the swivel, I am trialing the Cats Paw knot which is essentially a rotating loop through the swivel and pulling down tight. Does anyone use this knot - positive or negative???

Rabs

Rab's....

Thanks for your imput into this topic by discussing and throwing up results through trial and error's

on the water how other can you learn better than reading about it through the likes of posting on here....

And then applying it straight into practise that's why i like to keep inviting comment's on such and getting

informative answers back as you gave so as some of the newbies to the sport can gain valuable insight

I have never tried the cats paw for my connection to the swivel the reason this been twofold...

the first been i can't quite remember when it last happened but i don't think it will be the last time were

i have caught a marlin and have noticed that one of the strands on the double has broken or let go

for what ever the reason....

And when at a time were i was heavily involved with wind on leader's where we had a failure 9 times out of ten.....

the finger was pointed at that paticular connection at the loop and the double...... the point i'm trying to get across i suppose is if it does

fail's it leaves no chance........ the other option at least may give you half a chance......

maybe with that last blue of your's you made mention of it was just to be......

i know it won't make it hurt any less than it did but i reckon stay with what your doing....

Cheers Warnie.....

Hey Katari

Best thing to do is tie the two different knots with the same piece of line you are going to use and see which breaks first!

I like the bimini on braid but a tight and well tied Aussie plait is VERY hard to beat on mono.

In my experience the line beaks most on one of the singles of the double NOT sure why this is but for some reason in the water this happens.

To overcome this I twist the double and use a hangman uni to finish it off to swivel or clip swivel. I have had no failures on main line with this method.

Hope his is if some help

cheers

inhlanzi

• 2 weeks later...

I use to plait but having spent some time on several charter boats changed to the Bimini purely because of time it takes to tie it. As was mentioned use the same line and tie all the knots in the combinations you think might work and process of elimination you will come up with a combination you are comfortable tying in a reasonable amount of time. For me bimini takes about 1.5 mins to tie and for terminal tackle I use the Palomar knot again simple to tie and takes virtually 5 - 10seconds to tie and is very strong.

Pete