Berley Masher

King slayer

I was thinking of making a berley masher for my tinnie. My idea was to use 150mm pvc pipe, end cap on the base, holes drilled in the sides an secured to the back of the boat by some kind of bracket... but here's where I come un-stuck, as I can't think of a bracket set up that I can imagine working well.

Any of you guys ever make one of these? How did you do it and what did you use for the masher stick?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use the kitchen blender. Chop the heads, etc with a hatchet and throw them in the blender. Use a margerine container to freeze them in then throw them into plastic bags for storage. Helps keep the beer cold in the esky on the next outing. Put a block or two in the engine well and as they thaw, the burley continues to run at a steady pace. You can add a few cubes of WA Pillies or a bit of fish guts occassionaly. Keeps one hand free for the strike, the other hand for the cold beer.

Cheers

PVC and endcaps are quite brittle so I don't think they will last a long time. We munch up all the bits at home in a stainless bucket , add some chook pellets and freeze in a bag inside a small container. We just tie the bag off to the transom with a few holes stabbed in it and it defrosts a trail. My burley goes no where near the beer when we have any on board. Beer is sacred!!

Edited by pelican

hey slayer,i puchased a industrial mincer from a com.call k mak or k mac in dawin

they import them from china

the end price was about $100.00 delivered

now there is no waste i mince everything make a berly brew and freaze it in pvc tubes the right size for my berly pots

here's a pic,had to fab a stand so it was a good sit down possy

no i do'nt mince eperbs it was to give you a idea of size

yes thats a walk in frezer in the background[not currently running]

if you need any info just ask

gary

post-6655-1207693329_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi brickman,

thats a top idea..

im looking at getting a mincer aswell.

can you tell me what number it is 8,10,12 etc ?

i think it reflects the size, the high the number, the larger the mincer.

what number would you recommend ?

i dont want to end up with somehting that is too small.

thanks.

Mr RB

hey slayer,i puchased a industrial mincer from a com.call k mak or k mac in dawin

they import them from china

the end price was about $100.00 delivered

now there is no waste i mince everything make a berly brew and freaze it in pvc tubes the right size for my berly pots

here's a pic,had to fab a stand so it was a good sit down possy

no i do'nt mince eperbs it was to give you a idea of size

yes thats a walk in frezer in the background[not currently running]

if you need any info just ask

gary

i got a mincer a while back on ebay and it only cost me about $20 delivered. It is tops and i have not come across anything i cant mince since i got it. it looks exactly the same as the one in the pic above. I mince all my left over baits, add a cap ful of tuna oil and freeze it. If u want one of these mincers just search berley.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi King Slayer,

If you make yourself a berley pot and need a masher, I've got a spare aluminium one that would suit a tinny set up that you can have for nothing. I bought a longer, stainless masher for my Quinnie. If you want it send me a pm and we'll work out how to get it to you.

Cheers, Slinky

I gave up with the mincers and moulinexes and other kitchen ware :wife: also had enough of me destroying the kitchenware and so went to B......S and bought a garden shredder that does up to 30mm branches.

You need to freeze the stuff you are putting through to cut down on the smell

I have just made a fair few kg of burley from frames of +-30kg tuna. Munches these big backbones no problem.

Shredder needs to be washed down and stored outside!!!!

cheers

inhlanzi

I gave up with the mincers and moulinexes and other kitchen ware :wife: also had enough of me destroying the kitchenware and so went to B......S and bought a garden shredder that does up to 30mm branches.

I have just made a fair few kg of burley from frames of +-30kg tuna. Munches these big backbones no problem.

cheers

inhlanzi

Haha I have one of those 3" (maybe slightly smaller) shredders and found that it was pretty useless for tree branches and leaves which is what it was bought for... wasnt that expensive - I might have to think about transforming it into a fishing power tool!!!

GOLD idea

Cheers

Andy

cheers

inhlanzi

Nice one Inhlanzi!

I've got one too that maybe gets used for branches twice a year. I might wait until :wife: is not home though and do a good clean up before she gets home. Don't think she'd appreciate the efficiency side of it/

Cheers, Slinky

• 4 months later...

I made one from PVC tube, glued an end cap on the bottom and glued a screw fitting on top.

I made a stainless chopper and put it through a hole in the lid before I welded the handle on, so I don't loose the masher. Fill it with berley, screw the lid on and the masher is retained.

I put a piece of 5mm rubber on the bottom to protect the plastic.

I have large stainless clamps that I put around the tube and welded brackets off it that I screwed to the transom.

Just make sure you drill holes close to the bottom, otherwise it never empties of berley.

Works a treat.

Cheers

Greg

at the end of the day minced, cleaned and packed before we get back to rhe ramp.

Great idea if you were to use up all the berley that you minced for the trip. I'm not sure it would be permissable by your local fisheries inspectors to be bringing back minced fish to the boat ramp. You may even be liable to some sort of penalty.

Definately worth checking - obviously a good way to hide undersized fish - fish pie anyone?? :biggrin2:

Cheers

Mariner

Hey i have the set up your talking about. the pvc tube with the end cap on my tinnie. works perfect. have not had it break or crack. i just used bolts straight through it and a peice of timber on the inside to add strength. You use the holes in it to use a socket to put through to bolt it just use an extension bar. And i use a broom stick with heaps of screws through it as the masher just use 100mm screws and go straight through leave half out each end. See on the back of my tinne.

post-5996-1225790981_thumb.jpg

Edited by bender

Mate up north has a insinkerator ( spelling) still mounted in a small double bowl sink on a frame. Uses sink to clean fish and everything smallish gets pushed thrugh the insinkerator. Bit noisy but nice quick bucket of berly underneath but doesn't like some skin unless frozen first. See them on council throw out days still attached to the sink after renovations but never bothered.