Tow Vehicles

Bonehead

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3 litre V6. Around town I'm getting around 18-20L/100KM which I reckon is really poor economy. Chuck my 1.5 tonne boat on the back and it gets way worse. I just did a trip down to Ulladulla with the boat on the back and the fuel bill was $240.

I'm now looking to change vehicles and I want to go diesel for the torque and economy they provide. I don't want to spend a heap of money - somewhere between $20-$30K so I am obviously looking second hand. I am after Fishraiders' experiences (good or bad) towing a sililar sized boat with the following vehicles (and any others you might like to suggest.

Vehicles I'm considering are:

Jeep 2.8L - 400nm

Pajero 3.2L - 373nm

Rodeo 3.0 - 360nm

Patrol 3.0 - 354nm

Prado 3.0 - 343nm But more than $30k

Navara 3.0L - 314nm - getting low on torque

Would apreciate all advice, experiences and suggestions.

Cheers,

Mark

The Mitsubishi 3.2 DiD diesel is a cracker of an engine. I have a Triton and it tows my 5.3 Quinnie half-cab easily, and I'll soon (hopefully) be adding a DiD Pajero to the garage as well :thumbup: IMHO you really need to be finding something with a common-rail diesel engine as their power and economy is far superior to the older style diesels.

Bear in mind that currently you can pay MORE for diesel at the bowser than petrol, so the cost savings might not be what you expect :thumbdown:

Cheers

Holmesie

That fuel ecconomy figure is horrific. Note to self - buy more caltex shares- I had no idea that motor was so poor on ecconomy. What ecconomy , at what speed are other people getting and what weights are they towing??

That fuel ecconomy figure is horrific. Note to self - buy more caltex shares- I had no idea that motor was so poor on ecconomy. What ecconomy , at what speed are other people getting and what weights are they towing??

Hows about buying shares in Dalbora Marina - they are charging 1.99 at the pump for premium unleaded!!!

Fair enough the marina is on the water but its still serviced by road!!

Pel...

You reckon that bonehead's economy sound's poor...

well you best stock up on caltex shares as you said for i get

270klm out of a full tank that's seventy five litres

i think that translates poorly...

yes i know im towing weight and i don't push her......she being a 4.2litre ford maverick 4wd

but the truth is.... and ive tried a few let me tell you !!!!!!!

i haven't come across a better tow vehicle that does it so easy as this one...

but i pay the price at the bowser....

paticularly if i throw in 400 litres into the boat to boot...

actually come to think of it!!!!!!!!

never mind about you i think's i best get the caltex shares......

Cheers Warnie....

My car isn't a 4wd and my boat + trailer only weighs about a tonne. The car is a 2003 gas powered (factory fitted) ford wagon. Without the boat I get around 14 - 15 litres per 100km. With the boat I get 21 litres per 100km. As gas is around half the price of petrol, these figures are equivalent to 7l/100km and 10.5l/100km. I've thought about changing to a 4wd for use on the occasional beach ramp, but how could I get anything as economical as my ford?

Edited by Benzeenees

I have a 95 Pajero , 3 litre petrol , and given its low gear ratios , it gives me about 8K's to the litre . I have the long range tank , ( 142 litres ) which is a real pain in the hip pocket these days to fill , but it is very reliable. With 365,000 on the clock , she still runs like a swiss watch !

I think the Pajeros are fitted out a little better than the other Japanese 4x4's , it tows my boat ( Im guessing about 1.2 tonnes all up ) quite well , only the steepest of hills require a shift back to 3rd gear. Of course , there is a fuel consumption penalty to be paid for towing the boat , but the same will apply to any vehicle.

Ross

I used to tow my 2.2 ton Cruise Craft with a jeep cherokee and now the auto gearbox slips all the time. A few weeks ago i made the best decision ever and spent $3K on an old 60 series Diesel Toyota Land Cruiser purely for pulling the boat. I had to spend $1,000 to fix all the little bits and pieces that were wrong with it but now I have the perfect tow truck.

No more worrying about getting salt water all over the leather, or making sure it is all washed down perfectly after I get salt water on it.

Do yourself a favor and buy an old tow truck that you can trash and have a nice car that you keep nice.

When I sell the boat one day I will probably sell it with the truck !!

I can,t really comment on Diesel vehicles

as i have never owned one.

I towed my boat (5.0m)on the weekend with the mates mazda bt50 3.0 TD common rail motor

and it towed it really well. Just as well as my v6 rodeo.But it didn,t like cruising around 110km/h

i don,t know if i hadn,t worked out how to drive it towing yet as i have never driven the vehicle before.

he gets around 700km on a 70litre tank.notloaded

maybe have a look at the mazda

I tow the Bertie with a 5litre v8 Explorer.

The fuel economy is non existent. It cost me $400.00 to get to South West Rock several years ago.

Tows well, but at a massive cost. :thumbdown:

Cheers,

Stumpy :biggrin2:

G'day Bonehead,

I used to be a motor mechanic and in my expierence you cant go wrong with toyota. landcruisers are better than anything else in their class, taking into conideration value for money, reliability, availability of parts and re-sale value. Oh, and you're current fuel consumption isnt good, maybe get it checked.

Have to agree. I have early model 80 series Turbo diesel with over 350000 kms on it and can't fault it. Even with raised suspension, larger diameter tyres and a heap of extra accessories/weight i get around 12 L/100km around town. For that money you should be able to pick up a late model 80 series or even and early model 100 series. I drove a late model 3.0l patrol in Tassie recently too and was quite impressed.

Cheers, Greg

Have to agree. I have early model 80 series Turbo diesel with over 350000 kms on it and can't fault it. Even with raised suspension, larger diameter tyres and a heap of extra accessories/weight i get around 12 L/100km around town. For that money you should be able to pick up a late model 80 series or even and early model 100 series. I drove a late model 3.0l patrol in Tassie recently too and was quite impressed.

Cheers, Greg

Try 38 litres per hundred when towing the Bertie :wacko:

Cheers

Grumpy Stumpy

Edited by stumpy

• 2 months later...

We have the new Pajero Exceed and have just clocked up 6000 klms .

It has gone way above all my expectations and it is so cheap to run when towing.

I towed my boat to Lake Lyell and got 7.9 litres to the 100 klms which is great in anyones language.

Cheers Stewy.

The power in the 3.2 litre common rail turbo diesel is awsome and cruises easily at 110 kph

We have the new Pajero Exceed and have just clocked up 6000 klms .

It has gone way above all my expectations and it is so cheap to run when towing.

I towed my boat to Lake Lyell and got 7.9 litres to the 100 klms which is great in anyones language.

Cheers Stewy.

The power in the 3.2 litre common rail turbo diesel is awsome and cruises easily at 110 kph

Stewy

them figures are unreal. I had a DID 07 Pajero as a loan car and i wasn't get that out of it empty

I have an 07 navara 2.5 diesel and get around 11/100 empty and 15/100 towing 1.5t.

I use a SS Commodore to tow my boat. On a trip without the boat the Commodore averages less than 10 litres per 100km. Whilst towing my boat, a 5.2 metres haines hunter, this fuel ecomony drops to about 15 litres per 100km but has plenty of power to do the pulling. Only problem not so friendly at some boat ramps but the majority there are no problems at all.

Hi all,

I've only recently aquired a trailerboat and am now renewing the pains that used to be so familiar with launching and so on.

Fortunately my boat is "parked" within 25 metres of the ramp so the concerns of fuel economy are not so relevant to me. However, being a sand ramp I have to consider power and traction.

I have a Rav4 which would not have the grunt to pull 2 1/2 tons of boat. My wife has (or should I say used to have) a Jackaroo Automatic turbo diesel. She now has the Rav4 :074:

Put in low 4x4 and L on the transmission, it pulls the rig with no problems whatsoever.

Funny thing is the previous owner had a Landcruiser and struggled every time - had to hook up another vehicle to the cruiser to assist. Maybe something to do with the standard narrow tyres on the cruiser - we have much wider tyres fitted on the Jackaroo.

I use a SS Commodore to tow my boat. On a trip without the boat the Commodore averages less than 10 litres per 100km. Whilst towing my boat, a 5.2 metres haines hunter, this fuel ecomony drops to about 15 litres per 100km but has plenty of power to do the pulling. Only problem not so friendly at some boat ramps but the majority there are no problems at all.

I traded my VX SS for the Pajero as I didnt like the wheel spins on some of the ramps that have sand and moss and now I can launch her just about anywhere without a worry in the world.

Cheers Stewy

• 1 month later...

Bit the bullet and spent about $10000 more than i had planned - but am more than happy with the result. Ended up with current model Grand Cherokee that has the Mercedes Benz 3.0 engine. What a weapon - it has 510Nm of torque. Just did a trip up to Yamba and averaged about 15L/100KM towing the boat. It has heaps of grunt for hills and overtaking. I am one happy boy!!!

post-5923-1215331269_thumb.jpg

Mate i would be in favor of the Navara. They are a pretty tough rig and provide excellent economy.

The clutch is a little weak but other than that they a great bang for your bucks.

Soft-on

If you can wait, I think the new Nissan XTrail Turbo Diesel will be released in September of this year

Deek

hey deek, if you look at boneheads post at the top of this page he is talking about the car he bought, I don't think he will be waiting to buy an Xtrail in sep.

Edited by hookenup

I have a 2.8 l Jeep Cherokee which has a turbo diesel engine. I recently towed my 16ft runabout to Forster, and the average consumption was 11l/100km. so far, I haven't had any issues with towing with this vehicle.