The Poon Hole 17/1/05

Ken A

After all the wind & lack of fish here lately I was wandering about this morning & stumbled on a new tarpon fishing spot about 200 metres from my house :biggrin2:

Only took me 2 years to find out I could actually access this little lake.

Anyhow I wandered down there late this afternoon while a storm was brewing in the west & started tossing a small popper about. After a few casts I had a hit which missed (common for tarpon) & things went slow then. I moved up a small creek & started tossing an Ecogear SX-40 around lilly pads & 3rd cast it got smacked by a Tarpon. I got him nearly to my feet & the hooks fell out :ranting2:

A few casts later I hooked a good one about 50cm & dropped it also. :ranting2:

A few casts later ditto the above then ditto again.

The storm was approaching quickly so I had to leave in a hurry but I finished with about 9 strikes for 5 hook ups & never landed a fish.

Those who have chased tarpon before will understand but for those who have not I'm here to tell you Tarpon are damn hard to hook properly. They have a funny shaped & very hard mouth. I reckon landing 1 in 5 is good going.

It was a fun session & added a new species to my list of captures on the mighty Ecogear SX-40.

I'll post pics when I manage to keep the hooks in one :risata:

Thats great stuff Ken.

I think I read somewhere that Poon are related to the Bonefish, is that right? If you do catch a Poon they are C&R proposition or are they edible????

You cant eat tarpon apparently due to the bones and with there shape I dont think there would be much flesh on them anyway, Ive never tried.

Mind you if you get the ones they get in the Americas, now some of them are monsters

I might have to try a pre brekky poon fish :1prop:

They are not really edible but then I don't think Carp are either but people eat those :biggrin2: Just fun little sports fish & being only a couple minutes walk away its a handy spot.

Only problem is the mozzies. :1yikes: Dipped myself in Rid & still got bled dry.

Nice work Ken! :1prop: Hardly surprising that there aren't any fish about with the amount of tourists that invade the area around this time of year. I was thinking about coming up and having a fish with ya on Thursday :1fishing1: , that's assuming you're free and there's the odd whiting or 3 around. :1yikes:

If not perhaps a tarpon session instead? lol

I'll give you a call this arvo.

Herby

Hey ken,

Just broke my tarpon duck a week or too ago and you are correct, they are one damn hard fish to hook. Then comes the landing the fish part as they leap out of the water! Tarpon are suuuch great sport on light line! A lake 200m from where you live would be sick!

Try a muscadine good old bream sized slider mate for something different if they are holding a tad deeper.