Narrabeen Beach

scottwm

Howdy all,

Swung by the beach on the way home last night with the thought of going for a swim/surf. Discovered there wasn't a drop of swell, and the wind was blowing offshore. With daylight saving ending next week, I made a last-minute decision to have a quick fish off the beach while we still have some light after work.

So I called a mate, grabbed a coupla beers, the gear, some burley and old pillies and headed over.

On the first few casts while I was setting up I had a couple of touches and lost baits, so things were looking positive. There were also a few birds around, so I thought maybe a tailor or sambo could be on the cards.

About 15mins into the session I landed a nice little flattie. Only small (34cm), but enough for a coupla fillets, so into the bucket. After that, the bites kept coming every 15-20mins, and resulted in 3 more lovely flatties, the biggest 46cm.

Beautiful night, easy fishing, and some delicious flattie fillets marinating and waiting for the BBQ tonight. Happy days. :1prop:

Cheers,

Scott.

post-901-1207254864_thumb.jpg

That's a great catch of flatties Scott. It was a good decision to give the beach a go. It's a great way to spend a couple of hours.

Beautiful night, easy fishing, and some delicious flattie fillets marinating and waiting for the BBQ tonight. Happy days.

You forgot to mention the time of the BBQ and where it is.

I don't want to miss out on a feed of marinated flattie fillets! :1prop:

Cheers

Peter

Aww sweet, sorry boyz.

For my own reference, any fish caught off the beach (in NSW) would be sand or tigers? Or can you just tell by collouration?

Say around the mouth of lagoons/lakes that enter the sea (i.e narrabeen beach) )wouldn't duskies come out and cruize along the beach at times?

Cheers

Jake

Aww sweet, sorry boyz.

For my own reference, any fish caught off the beach (in NSW) would be sand or tigers? Or can you just tell by collouration?

Say around the mouth of lagoons/lakes that enter the sea (i.e narrabeen beach) )wouldn't duskies come out and cruize along the beach at times?

Cheers

Jake

You'll get duskies out there too. Easiest way to tell (as their colour will change depending on their local environment) is look at the tail - the duskies have one big black spot, and some smaller flecks of black and a blue shade at the bottom.

7443c5f62dd54df6f008e3dc8b338415.jpg

Better pic

0439-dusky-flathead1.jpg

Edited by yakfishing

Aww sweet, sorry boyz.

Cheers

Jake

Tiger Flathead are generally found out wide in the deeper water. You'll rarelly catch them in close.

Nice catch there Scott. Nothing like a nice couple of Flatties off the beach. Good stuff!