My Couple Of Days Off

StessL72

post-4926-1207467755_thumb.jpg Last friday the 28th was the RTA fishing comp so we departing parsly bay at around 6am and went in search of some livies and after about 1hr we had a live well full of nice size yakkas. Set the destination on the plotter to broken bay fad after around 30/40 mins we arived to our destination but no fad. Well cancelled go to and entered swansea fad and off we went oppened up the 200 yammie and we were not to far within our destination when we spotted some fish traps i pulled up and dropped a livie over and bang but not a solid hook up, i bring up a deformed livie :tease: aaaaa small dollies so out come the pillies and bang i was right small dollies so as we didnt have much time to go before the weigh in we continued to swansea fad the water was very nice soon we where at the swansea fad and over went the livie and seconds later bang solid hook up! Cool up came a dollie of 70cm nice 8 dollies later bettween 70cm and 85cm we had to head back for weigh in yea i know you are thinking petty dollies but its a yearly event that the rec club holds. Well after the weigh in we sorted our gear out and headed for nelsons bay we arrived up there friday night and up early for a day out on viking11 we caught one stripe around 100kg and one dollie of around 2.5kg and one of around 6 to 8kg a slow but beautifull day perfect conditions. Well we hung around for half day sunday and then headed home still starving for a fish hhhhh i woke up monday and was trying to keep busy but kept walking past all my fishing gear which sent me crazy!! :wacko: So on the mobile it was trying to get someone to come fishing with me on tuesday but no luck! :( and then a freind who i hadnt seen for a while came into mind and finally a yes woooohhhhooooo as i heard good reports of down south i loaded the boat and we took off for jb. We arived at murrys ramp and launched the boat destination kink we soon arived at the kink and started trolling skips but no live bait yet so we kept skipping along then all of a sudden we had a follower but no take very frustrating we headed for jb canyons while searching for bait and then bait on the sounder down went the jigs and bang bang bang up came half a jig and 2and a half slimies! :mad3: jackets so out went the livies while slow trolling my mates rod got hit but no hook up then around 30 seconds later my rod got hit but i was quick to free spool and after 20 long seconds i was solid! i faught this fish for 2hrs 20mins and pop at the boat it was a nice blue of around 4/ 4.5 mtrs long estimated 160kg to 180kg? on 24kg my back was sore now by this time it was 430ish and we had time for a quick troll will livies before headed back for the tiering trip home and all i could think about was the look of that big thing that i lost :05: live to fight another day hopefully he seemed lively still when my leader popped! I will say one thing dont use 130lb fluro carbon leader when chasing marlin is my thing from now on!!!!! Anyway i hope i havent bored you guys as this is my first time posting atleast i have a pic of my decent dollie that i caught up nelsons on a live slimie take it easy till next time i promise to make it shorter next time steve!

good to see you finally put up a post. shame on tha fish aye like i said stick to at least 300lb. he will always be there so all you can hope for is that your get him nxt time. best of luck nxt time u head out

cheers

boutime

hi mate

good way to spend a couple of days off!

are you sure you got the size of that blue right? where did you measure from?

standard length measurement is from the lower jaw to the fork of the tail.

then a girth measurement to get your estimate

without a girth measurement a 4m blue would weigh more likely 400kgs+++++

who cares what weight the fish is anyway a blue is a blue!

Col

good to see you finally put up a post. shame on tha fish aye like i said stick to at least 300lb. he will always be there so all you can hope for is that your get him nxt time. best of luck nxt time u head out

cheers

boutime

Yes bouttime i defantly will be using minimum 300lb leader from now on :1fishing1: hehehehe i cant wait to get back into it cheers see you out there steve.

nice report steve ,bad luck about the blue but better to hook and lose then to endlessly roam the ocean ahh,ive done a fair bit of roaming this year

cheers arman

Thanks mr magoo yea abit of a shame that i lost a good fish but as they say shit happens! I have recantly spent many hours on the water chasing these fish with not that much luck so atleast i am doing something right now gives me confedance knowing that i can actually find and hook these fish so its all about learning trust me i have picked alot of brains plus done alot of home work! Do your home i say to people i know i sound hippacritickle regarding home work well alot of people i have spoken to say 130lb fluro carbon well i say nope 300lb and up from now on hehehehe see i learnt the hard way, the blues should be off sydney now they should be around for another month or so? steve

hi mate

good way to spend a couple of days off!

are you sure you got the size of that blue right? where did you measure from?

standard length measurement is from the lower jaw to the fork of the tail.

then a girth measurement to get your estimate

without a girth measurement a 4m blue would weigh more likely 400kgs+++++

who cares what weight the fish is anyway a blue is a blue!

Col

[/quote

Hey djmac the fish i seen jumping and porpesing was around 4 to 5 meters long aproxamatly from bill to tail in length roughly i estimated him at around 160/ 180 just a guestamet i was so pumped just looking at such a big thing dancing around the ocean so weight i wasnt 100% with but size was roughly 4 to 5mtrs long because i had him to the boat 3 to 4 times, 4time is when my line popped. Ow i also forgot to mention the boat is 6.5mtrs long and this fish was 3/4's the length of the boat and for my first blue it was devestating to see the rod go limp after a 2hr 20min fight but i will get over it hehehe hopefully i will get out on friday due to having an rdo and get into some action cheers steve.

Nice report mate, some great action had.

Hey keeping tabs thanks mate, yea there has been been a fair bit of action going on out there i have learn when there there you drop everthing and go as i am sure you know that the action can be gone over night i cant wait to get out there and give it a burl again hopefully this friday? Cheers steve.

Good Report Mate,

Is Kevin Burke still running the RTA fishing days??

Cheers

Deek

Hey thanks deek, i think keven is still running the rta comps there not a bad thing quite funny hehehehe watching all these tiny fish getting weighed in i would rather have nothing to weigh in if not decent in size the trophy was won with sargent bakers what a laugh hehehe dirty play i say cheers steve.

Great story but as I remembered it we only went to the Terrigal Fad. Great picture of the dollie but I liked this one better

Thanks mate but remmeber that when we got to the so call broken bay fad gps mark it was not there? :Funny-Post: talk to you soon buddy hehehe