Bait Board Surface Coating?

Scienceman

I have a permanent bait board on the back of my Quinnie. It has a piece of marine ply for the cutting surface. However this surface seems to grow an algae or fungi which is dark and ugly and sometimes gets on the bait. I intend to sand the surface back to fresh wood but my question is now what should I seal the surface with?

Whatever I use must not be too hard to blunt knives. I was thinking of getting an epoxy 2-pack or even glueing a plastic cutting board onto the wood. Any suggestions?

I have a permanent bait board on the back of my Quinnie. It has a piece of marine ply for the cutting surface. However this surface seems to grow an algae or fungi which is dark and ugly and sometimes gets on the bait. I intend to sand the surface back to fresh wood but my question is now what should I seal the surface with?

Whatever I use must not be too hard to blunt knives. I was thinking of getting an epoxy 2-pack or even glueing a plastic cutting board onto the wood. Any suggestions?

How about some sort of hard rubber type material from Clark Rubber ?

If you can remove the ply and replace it with a polly chopping board it would be best or even if you just sealed the ply up with any varnish or sealer and screwed a polly chopping board over it. Much more food and knife friendly. Commercial cattering suppliers supply big oversize ones in various colours or just go the the supermarket for a cheapo one.

yeh reckon chamge it and go for the pollie cutting board aproach,because even if you laquer ,two pack and any other coating ,your gonna cut through and its gonna peel and scratch and genrally look ordinary

go the pollie cutting board

cheers arman

what should I seal the surface with?

I had a similar setup on the back of my Nipper.

Kept it simple and cheap.

Sprinkle salt on it after each trip.

Algae gone, smell gone and sterilised. All for less than $1 per trip

Might suffice until you decide on final cutting surface.

Cheers

Thanks for the great feedback. Looks like it will be a poly-board transplant. I will have to see how easily the wooden board is to remove and if too difficult i will glue a poly-board on top.

Screw it on . Polly is only a couple of plastics before teflon and is impossible to glue well

Edited by pelican