Advice On Putting Rods On Planes!

100mm PVC pipe from Hardware. I placed an endcap on one end and a screw on cap at the other. When packing I used bubble wrap and plenty of it so the rods didn't move inside.

Cheers, Greg

Hey All

About to fly North Wednesday for a weeks fishing in MacKay (woohoo!)

Any advice for putting rods on Virgin Blue? In particular - I have a 7ft wippy rod that I'm keen to take. What's the best way to protect it? Package it? (and cheapest)

thanks

Mike

Measure the distance from back side of rod blank to outside of first guide. This will give you the size of PVC pipe required. I never purchased packaging materials, your beach towell, clothing or the like will be more than adequate to wrap your sticks in.

hi there the best way i found was go to your nearest carpet shop and ask if they have and carpets tubes they are throwing out they are about 3.8 mts in lenght which you can cut to size they are made from cardboard but VERY tough ive traveled with my rods in them and they work great never had a broken rod yet :thumbup: p.s i have even dropped boat battery on the tubes with rods in them and no damaged done to the tubes or the rods hope this helps

Edited by jewfishrobby

Re your reels.

On Virgin airlines you can't take reels with line on as hand luggage.

Either pack them well with in your clothes or take the spools off and pack seperately.

Cheers

Greg

I went to Brisbane to work a few years back and bought a fishing rod from a sports store in the city for some weekend fishing (Wynnum and Shorncliffe).

On the way back to Sydney, I thought I'll take the fishing rod with me.

At the airport I was informed that I was not allowed to take the rod (2 piece) with me as a carry on, however I was allowed to check it in.

They gave me a receipt and upon arrival in Sdyney I collected my fishing rod using the receipt.

The rod was undamaged and I still have it today.

I thought it might be worth mentioning for anyone making a PVC pipe rod tube for use on a plane - make sure you drill some sort of ventilation hole in it. I have heard that completely airtight PVC rod tubes can deform/blow up when the plane reaches altitude.

I thought it might be worth mentioning for anyone making a PVC pipe rod tube for use on a plane - make sure you drill some sort of ventilation hole in it. I have heard that completely airtight PVC rod tubes can deform/blow up when the plane reaches altitude.

Thanks for that info mate.

I'm heading to Weipa next week & will be using 100mm PVC pipe with end caps to transport my rods.

I'll now be drilling a few holes in the pipe. Makes sense to me.

Cheers,

Grant.