Scales

snag

Ive notice that a few of the guys are using scales to give exact weights for there bag limits, and also to see which fish in there bag is the lightest so that when they upgrade they can remove the fish for a heavier one.

My Question is where can i get these scales from.

Your opinion on which is the better, and how much do they cost?

Thankyou in advance.

Hi Snag,

I've had a couple. I first got the Berkley digitals, worth about $30.00. They only go to one decimal place. I got rid of them, and now have a set of Shimano Digitals. These have ten memories so you can record each of the fish in you bag and identify quickly which is the lightest. The Shimano are a 14kg rating I think, and retail at around $100.00. Should be available from any Shimano dealer.

Andrew,

Its no point storing the weight of the fish unless you have a way to tag them, and I haven't seen a tagging system that I like yet... it would seem that they all require you to pierce the fish....but may be I'm wrong.....

I think snag is going to get one too.... Snag.. how about if we ordered together with you?????

To save stress on fish lifting them in and out of the well to upgrade, I've always used a float system, with numbers on them. Cheap as chips to make. 5 Red/White plastic floats. Five Large brass snap swivels with the wire bit sharpened. 5 bits of string about a foot long. hood the sap throught the fish's lip. Just use a Nikko pen to mark the floats 1 to 5 and have a note book to record the weights of each fish with the float number. You get a bigger fish than what's in the note book, grab that numbered float out of the well, and the Bream comes out with it. Let him go and hook the float to the new fish and write down the new weight.

Swoffa...for your removal of smallest fish, AussieBasser has answered it. I was going to tell you about a commercially available system that works on the same principle!

Its called a Quick Cull.

And this is the Blurb.

Quik-Cull

With just a glance, you can find the smallest fish in your livewell and retrieve him without harm or precious time spent trying to corner him in the livewell long enough to cull him. The jaw clamps stay firmly in place without harming the fish while the colored, tangle-free plastic rope floats at the top of the water for an easy grasp on the fish you wish to replace. Includes dry-erase board to keep track of fish's weights and their corresponding color. Rust-free plastic construction.

Joe I've got the Quick Cull, and the clips, even though they don't pierce the fish, are way too big for Bream and keep their mouths locked open heaps.

Tony, I ordered the same scale, in fact the full culling system, and will wait and see how it turns out - here's the goss:

X-Tools Grip n' weigh culling system

I just hope the jaws aren't too big - but the memory function on the scale looks the goods :biggrin2:

I also have a set of the Field and Stream FS-25's and have used them for over 6 months and they've been great........ I'm just looking for the 'perfect system'

You can get an idea about the Quick Cull problem from the pic below:

Cheers,

post-85-1106824412_thumb.jpg

The Fishraider Velcro Tournament Culling System

All right boys...You read it here first! :risata::risata: All royalties to be split with Jocool Aussiebasser, DaveW and of course Ken! :thumbup:

Edited by Jocool

Guest bluecod

Joecool's idea about the velcro tail lock sounds good, the only draw back I see with that method is that if there is surplus velcro hanging from the tail there is a possibility the fish may velcro themselves together and not be able to swim.

Why not just use different coloured elastic bands which can be easily slipped on and off the tail wrist - if you can't get them easily through a stationer, try the hair elastic girls use to tie ponytails.

Joecool's idea about the velcro tail lock sounds good, the only draw back I see with that method is that if there is surplus velcro hanging from the tail there is a possibility the fish may velcro themselves together and not be able to swim.

Why not just use different coloured elastic bands which can be easily slipped on and off the tail wrist - if you can't get them easily through a stationer,  try the hair elastic girls use to tie ponytails.

29519[/snapback]

We tried the elastic band idea a while back - they do damage the fish a little bit, and tend to break, the hair bands corrode at the join.

I'm looking for something non-corrodable, minimum damage to fish and easily acessed/buildable - we will work it out eventually :biggrin2: