Land Based Live Bait Rig

powersalt

Hi guys,

i'm in need of some advise as to what rig is best for landbased live baiting. I've always had problems with tangles when live baiting using sinkers :( . The live bait that will be used are small fishes, yellowtails, slimy macs, etc. Is there any way that this problem can be solved?

your help will be most appreciated

thanks

we use 40lb main line with about 1.5m 60-80lb leader no sinker with balloon blown up about half way tied on just above swivel tie it a few times or it will slide up your main line.

How far can you generally send your ballons out do you use hellium. I've always wondered if when ballooning if the livie was in the air for a few minutes it would die. I'm keen to give it a go one day.

a light cast is the go its not to bad over the next few months with offshore winds bit shit with strong onshore get out early before the wind gets up we used water bombs in the past but to hard to blow up get your everyday size balloons

It all depends on what you are fishing for, and where you are fishing. You fish differently for kings than you would for Longtail tuna, different again for Cobia. Though anything can take anything at any time. You don't need balloons on Yakka's, they just are't strong enough to tow a ballon around and are at the mercy of the wind and the currents. I tend to use torpedo floats with all live baiting, minimizes drag on your bait and the predator does not feel the drag on the take and hopefully just engulfs it and takes of waiting for you to hit strike. Slimies will need a balloon attached to your float with an elastic band, rigged so as to break away with a decent run. Without the ballon the slimies tend to tow your topedo around and under the water and you won't see your float for a while. With leaders and lead, goes back to what you are trying to catch. Generally you don't need any lead when live baiting. The bait will always try to get down to the bottom where a predator won't see thier sillouette against the sky, that is until they are too tired or dead. Then just put a fresh one on. With the leader i guess around 80lb for kings and around 40 to 60lb for surface pelagics that don't tend to fight dirty.I forgot to mention, never tried using braid for LBG, never seen it used anywhere either, i think you really do need that stretch and bounce in the line. Hope this helps

First of all cheers for the input guys. However, i dun intend to fish with a float or a balloon. :(

The thing is i'm probably gonna fish from some wharf to target jewies or perhaps anything thats willing to take a livie. Thus, i need the livie to remain at a specific spot without itself swimming away from a strike zone. Therefore i need a a sinker to keep that livie at around that position. However, this is not so simple, because of tangled lines after awhile (struggling livie). So is there any good rig that will help in bottom fishing from landbased using a livie? :biggrin2:

thank you

First of all cheers for the input guys. However, i dun intend to fish with a float or a balloon. :(

The thing is i'm probably gonna fish from some wharf to target jewies or perhaps anything thats willing to take a livie. Thus, i need the livie to remain at a specific spot without itself swimming away from a strike zone. Therefore i need a a sinker to keep that livie at around that position. However, this is not so simple, because of tangled lines after awhile (struggling livie). So is there any good rig that will help in bottom fishing from landbased using a livie? :biggrin2:

thank you

Hi mate,

I was pondering the same question a while ago. The main point I picked up was to pin the livie in the tail instead of on top, under the dorsal fin. This way, the fish should swim away from your sinker on the bottom. I haven't tried it yet but next weekend looks good.

Cheers

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=29129