What Speice This Fish Is ?

terry1985

Question

12 answers to this question

yep,sweep alright,...not many people would bother keeping them due to their poor eating qualities.But i'm curious, [never tried them myself] have you eaten any yet? if so,how were they?...are they really that bad??

Edited by hooked4life

Sweep are bland and boney. I used to throw them back until we tried smoking some. They're nearly as nice as tailor when smoked.

Put the sweep fillets in a brine and brown sugar solution for about an hour, pat them dry, then put them in the smoker for 15-20 minutes.

Fantastic! :thumbup:

The only other way I would eat sweep is in fishcakes. However, as Christos says, a sauce may help.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Hi all,

Everyone can have their own opinion, be a sad world if we were all the same. But when it comes to Sweep, I had the chance to try them once a few years again, I could not believe that something that looked like it would taste OK could really taste so bad, I think it would go down as the worst thing I have ever tasted.

Anyway, I can say I have tried them and I can say I will never do it again.

Cheers, Steve

:beersmile:

I used to always throw them back after reading what people said about them. Then I read on here that someone ate them and that they were not bad so I thought I would keep 1 or 2 and give it a go. Filleted them and put them on the bbq bit of thai style sauce on the top and they were quite nice...

I think I would only keep a couple if I couldnt catch anything else as bream, flatties, snapper are all much better eating fish. Not bad on the odd occasion with a nice sauce..

Edited by Beaver