Sea Sickness

mrj031

Hi Bunney10

Empty (or close to empty) stomach....

Mike

Yes I agree, from what I've been told from some of my Captains.

They tell me Jatz crackers or the like, something moresome with MSG in it, for you to keep eating.

Maybe also pretzels. The idea is to have something in your belly so as you are not continually dry-reeching.

With a small amount of fresh water to keep from dehydrating. :puke::puke::puke:

Yes I agree, from what I've been told from some of my Captains.

They tell me Jatz crackers or the like, something moresome with MSG in it, for you to keep eating.

Maybe also pretzels. The idea is to have something in your belly so as you are not continually dry-reeching.

With a small amount of fresh water to keep from dehydrating. :puke::puke::puke:

BBQ Shapes are my personal choice!!

:1welcomeani:

I normally just have a hearty meal before going out on a long day out to sea, although i do get rare moments of sickness (big swells) ( i eat and drink straight after throwing up) lol it sounds a bit weird, but your stomach needs something to pass up! and you can keep on fishing! While your mates laugh at you !

I normally feel a bit "crooK" once the boat has come to rest.

Ginger tablets the night before and 2 hrs before you venture onto the boat are also a good idea, generally speaking I don't take any mixed concoctions, no real idea whats in them.

Good luck! :1prop:

Edited by iricangi

Hi mate

I used to get REALLY REALLY sick it absolutly sucked it was like that for about 4 years, tried the wrist bands and the tablets etc but nothing worked for me......but in the past month i have trained myself to not be sick and in the past 6 or so trips offshore i have been fine.

I have found staying away from where i can smell the petrol and motor exhaust smells etc and try not to handle any burly as it stinks feral and made me sick at time.

When tying knots and changing lures etc i never look down at the deck i try 2 do everything standing up.

Not sure if ginger will help stop you being sick???? never tried it.

I always try 2 stay busy weather it be checking lines or driving the boat, cleaning the deck, making sure the water in the bait tanks fresh, changing lures anything that will keep you busy and moving around to take your mind off being sick.

Personally i don't beleive there is a gaurenteed way to stop you being sick....different things work for different people....jsut keep experimenting and use tips that other people give you to try and cure it.

cheers james

Hi everyone.

I tried the E.T sea sick pills on a fishing trip to the banks on the south coast. Didnt work for me was burleying 20 mins in to the trip.. The next day tried travell calm original never looked back. I used to get sick in botany bay. But time helps im good in the bay now just working on the outside part now. I figure i just spent all this money on a outside boat i better learn to like it (haha).

Cheers Benny.

Hey all,

Good suggestions throughout these replies.

I have found that a combination works well for me as well. I use the wrist bands and if I am going off shore I use travel calm or the like.

I also find that if this does not work that a good hard run in the swell will reset my system back to normal.

Sea sickness is caused by the fliud in your ears telling your brain you are moving and your eyes telling your brain you are not moving. As such the conflict causes the body to think you have been poisoned and as a result to expell everything from your stomach to try and get rid of the poison.

By going for a bit of a jaunt and really getting the boat to hit the swells hard your body then feels the movement (through the pounding) which is confirmed by your eyes and the fluid in your ears and then your body thinks the poison is gone. As such you tend to feel a lot better. :yahoo:

From here the trick is to not to start feeling sick again :1badmood: and the battle begins once over..

Cheers Sunnyboy1

• 10 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2008 at 8:46 AM, johnno said:

travelcalm for me (orig blue/white pack)

i take one or 1/2 a tablet the night before so it is in my system

and take another/or the other half

1/2 hour before launch.

if i have had a half i might have another one after 2hrs out

then just follow the the packet instructions

Don,t have more then 4 in 24hrs

I also take ginger beer with me to take swigs out of every so often

and some food to nibble on. (might not need the food might just be a habit :biggrin2: )

I'll 2nd travacalm, I don't normally use anything unless I am going a long way out just for a bit of the security factor.

I know it goes against the logic but for me I just keep eating from the moment I get on the boat, not sure if its the salt air but I just have to eat every 30 minute or so when on the water??