Black Treveally...

terry1985

We caught a couple when we were in Dunk Island. We then put them out as live baits for big GT's and we caught a shark. I think they are a bit too hard to specifically target, plus without knowing what they taste like i think i'd be very safe in saying there are much better eating fish than that.

we used to get these pests in plague proportions at times when fishing for blackfish from the wall at taronga zoo wharf.. if you thought jackets were quick at getting baits off they've got nothing on the ol magic moments/black trevally...

terry please be very very careful as the slime on them has a very powerful toxin that can make you hallucinate

and then paralysis can set in if hit hard enough...extremily painful thats why we used to get off our hooks without touching them.i have heard they were ok to eat but not worth the hassle in my books.

cheers...steve...

Edited by roosterman

They are good to eat. Firm, white flesh. They are also good to catch - they put up a fight beyond their weight.

But be very careful of their dorsal spines. A sting is very painful and takes a while to wear off. Easily avoided, like when handling bream, by holding them from underneath with a rag.

I did not know there was a problem with their slime. Hallucinations? I'm always in a trance while fishing so probably did not notice.

I've caught them on the mooring in Providence Bay on the north side of Broughton Island.

Peter

They are nasty little bastards...

As far as getting big ones, I am no sure. The ones we catch every now and again seem to be 15-20cm. I have not seen one bigger than that..

I have heard they are good on the plate but never tried them. My old man once got stung and extreme pain lasted for 2 hours. We had to cure him with VB.

Caught a few in pittwater off a wharf late last year around the 25cm mark. Go hard for there size.

My dad lives up near Port Maquarie and the luderick fisherman up there have been hassled by these guys at times off the brekwalls up there. More of a pest to them.

Is happy moments a different fish altogether?

Biggest happy momebts i saw came off the stake at nth maroubra every November for the first two weeks without fail these things were in excess of 2 pounds and damn they go hard a mate of mine used to get them off me and said they were a delicacy as did old Russian Joe once tell me still annoying when after blackies though!

if the hallucination was not accompanied with pain that you want to chop your hand off then that would be an option..

as i said you really need to watch it with these... my old man got a little of it through a small hook pin hole in the early 80's,his finger went rock hard in the area and he was in alot of pain for a couple hours,the callous type hardness lasted quite a while from memory...

now my ol man was hard as nails and this really made him sweat and grimace, he picked it up similar to the way mentioned by peter to show me about them and what not to do but he forgot about the hole from hook earlier that let poison in.lesson well and truly learnt and much respect given to these little pests...

.this shows you dont need to be spiked guys so best to use some long tongs or similar and be very careful.....

cheers....steve.......

Edited by roosterman

Is happy moments a different fish altogether?

nope,same one.."happy moments" refers to the strong pain it inflicts & "magic moments" refers to the hallucinogenic effects it can [apparently] cause.

Edited by hooked4life

• 5 months later...

I used to target them myself. They have a particular flavour that make them one of the better tasting fish.

Granted, yes, their spines are enough to make you dance. The old man has copped a few spines even while cleaning the buggers. We have even had a family friend that caught a 45cm speciman up Swansea way, and he had a numb arm for 2 weeks..

Slime? I dont think youve ever touched one if you think they are slimy.

Best to use fishing tongs and handle with care.

Where to catch: Fav hunting grounds have been manly, Church point, Pittwater, Swansea (Newcastle way), Lilli Pilli and Dolans Bay wharf have them seasonally.

Good luck with it. They fight like a little bat out of hell.

Have picked up a few at Kurnell while targetting drummer. They don't seem to be around in the numbers they once were but if you employ the usual trevally and drummer tactics in the same areas then you should get onto a couple.

hi Salmon hunter,

when i said slime i didnt mean they were slippery slimey..

prob shoulda been more clearer..

what i meant was the protective coating that most fish have on there body type slime...

and yes i have only touched them a couple of times but was soooo long ago and before my ol man was hit by one so i cannot really elaborate on the actual feel of them...

way too much dramas with these pests but yeh they sure do fight way above there size...

what is the actual feel of then and are they slippery and can you benchmark the taste against a known species???

im curious as from the late 80's early 90's ive seen them in shops and people say they are good eating...

cheers...steve......

Edited by roosterman

Steve

they are considered a delicacy around the Campsie area Bulldogs territory :1prop: you see them in a lot of fish shops, i tried them as thai fish cakes once and were bloody tasty!

yeh ive heard they are good tucker but can anyone compare them to another type....

still dont think ill try them unless i got a big one which is not that common from my experiences with them..

are you over here royce or still in nz.....

cheers...steve.....

• 1 month later...