Winter Fishing In Sydney

dandas

What is winter? :frozen:

:yahoo::sun: Here the season never changes. Just hot and then hotter! :sun::yahoo:

:05:

You know its winter here when you have to de-ice your car's windscreen before you set off! Another indication is when the ocean is warmer than the air and you can actually feel the 'heat' rising off the water.

Goddam it Domza, that feckin bug has got me twice now in different posts! I keep going to flick it off the screen :074:

Kings :)

We caught a shed load in "The easy season" now it is time to go get em when they are shy :)

My first YFT from my boat is also high on the cards :)

Robbie,

I'm with you Robbie, YFT as a first for my boat. I'm hoping to add some extra assistance with the Hunters during july I think.

BTW - what are peoples experince of the boating weather during winter off Sydney? Should I expect it to be a bit rougher or is it more a case of picking the days same as summer? Keeping in mind we're in a trailer boat & hoping to get out wide a bit.

Goddam it Domza, that feckin bug has got me twice now in different posts! I keep going to flick it off the screen :074:

I'm with you Robbie, YFT as a first for my boat. I'm hoping to add some extra assistance with the Hunters during july I think.

BTW - what are peoples experince of the boating weather during winter off Sydney? Should I expect it to be a bit rougher or is it more a case of picking the days same as summer? Keeping in mind we're in a trailer boat & hoping to get out wide a bit.

You get some very good days in winter although the swells can be a bit larger on average compared to summer. You don't get the afternoon northesters as you do in summer which are strong enough to make things very uncomfortable in a small boat. What you need to be wary of are strong westerly winds in winter. These westerlies can blow at 5 to 15 knots for days - then suddenly increase to 30 or 40 knots without warning or a forecast. This can be very dangerous if you are a long way out as the chop generated can be vicious without a lee effect from the land. For this reason I wouldn't take my 5.4m boat out further than the Peak (6 miles off the coast) in winter.

A fishmonger that comes to my work once a week for stock says he will be fishing for YFT with his trawler within two weeks down off Bermagui so it won't be long guys, reports are the long liners are already getting a few , anyway's. I will be trying my hardest to catch old man red this winter and a few jewies aswell.

You get some very good days in winter although the swells can be a bit larger on average compared to summer. You don't get the afternoon northesters as you do in summer which are strong enough to make things very uncomfortable in a small boat. What you need to be wary of are strong westerly winds in winter. These westerlies can blow at 5 to 15 knots for days - then suddenly increase to 30 or 40 knots without warning or a forecast. This can be very dangerous if you are a long way out as the chop generated can be vicious without a lee effect from the land. For this reason I wouldn't take my 5.4m boat out further than the Peak (6 miles off the coast) in winter.

Thanks for that Billfisher, my plan was always to ere to the side of caution so I take your advice onboard. Cheers

I'm hoping to add some extra assistance with the Hunters during july I think.

Mik,

Let me know if you need to make up numbers for a trip, I am very keen for a tuna session with the Hunters.

Cheers,

Robbie,

Edited by Robbielites