Winter Fishing In Sydney

dandas

Since summer has died in the A#@ and we have lovely winter to look forward to, I thought I would take a moment to see what fellow raiders will be chasing down during the colder months.

Will you bother going out?

Or will you just hibernate for a while?

What do you prefer to chase in winter?

:1fishing1:

Dan

I think this is the year I get serious about blackfish. Although I have said that to myself for the last few years.

I still like the challenge of winter flathead too, just a matter of changing styles.

Dave

I'm going try and hit the Blackfish up... land based

And try the beaches for things like tailor etc...

Interestingly was wondering the same as you ..

maybe get the boat out... I here that Dory are a winter fish... very good eating!

I think this is the year I get serious about blackfish. Although I have said that to myself for the last few years.

I still like the challenge of winter flathead too, just a matter of changing styles.

Dave

Winter Flatties has me interested...

How would you go about that?

Trout

Blackfish

Big Jewies from the beach

Big blue nosed bream on plastics

Trevally

Salmon and Tailor

Drummer this year are a target species as well and we are making some plans to get this going :biggrin2:

Yellowfin Tuna when its time

And definately Hairtail

Cheers Stewy

Winter Flatties has me interested...

How would you go about that?

Live poddies are a rarity in winter so I spend a bit of time jigging with mullet strips on the channel edges. Couple of big sinkers on thirty pound line and bounce it up and sown on the sand. Sooner or later you wake them up and they come out to play.

This winter I will give it a go with a big softy and see how it goes.

Dave

i will be chasing powder days at perisher, and working every other day to save my pennies for the snow.... i'll see u guys in 6 months when its warm again! hehe

dont think i'll do much fishing, just saving money and going snowboarding at every chance! got a season pass this year, anyone else going on hols to the snow?

Some of my best trips off Sydney have been in winter! No crowds at the boat ramp, no nagging northeasters. The snapper fishing is often at its best on the reefs around 60 to 80m depth. I will also be looking for kingies and other fish at the Peak, maybe a charter or two chasing yellowfin out wide or bottom fishing Browns Mountain. Botany Bay fishes well for trevally and there are still a few flatties and bream around. I'll probably do a few trips in the Georges tossing lures for estuary perch and bream.

PS, beach fishing for salmon is a lot of fun too.

Edited by billfisher

this is great. most punters would assume that winter equates with poor fishing. not the fishraiders though!

my old man really wants to hit the reddie's this winter, so we'll probly be doing a bit of that.

i'll be introducing some of my mate's to fishing with trevally in the bay.

and as always chasing the elusive 100lb yft.

I LOVE winter fishing! Big trevs and huge bream are real easy to catch, also plan on having a crack at blackfish. Nice john dory's come in, the tailor have already started so cant wait to get into a few of them!! Then on top of that theres the odd chance of a jew! Apart from kings, what more could u want?!!

davemmm - Is it you that does a fair bit of fishing up roseville bridge way? I go to uni just near there and would be keen to hit it up in search of flatties nd jew if you are interested. I mainly use SP's but also dont mind live baiting...

Edited by dicko

i will be chasing powder days at perisher, and working every other day to save my pennies for the snow.... i'll see u guys in 6 months when its warm again! hehe

dont think i'll do much fishing, just saving money and going snowboarding at every chance! got a season pass this year, anyone else going on hols to the snow?

Well I will certainly be down there a bit this year. It is cold already so should be a good season although they say summer is coming early this year.

I am heading to Whistler at the end of the year as well !!

Yellowfin Tuna when its time

Cheers Stewy

When is it time for YFT?

I have only been out on charters chasing them and they did not exactly show me the ropes. I would love to pull a few into the cruizy over the coming months !!

The sport that we do is all about going outside from our warm homes and catching some fish. Some will catch fish to eat and others will catch fish for sport.

I enjoy the winter months in Sydney as that is when the Trevally's are about. I fish from the rocks and not so much from a boat.

For the persons that do not fish the winter time are missing out on some very interesting time. No matter what the time off day is just make sure that you are warm and it will not be that hard to go out fishing.

My "project" this winter is blackfish in Brisbane Water, from my boat. Also, I know where some good weed is starting to grow so bait and berley wont be a problem.

Very interested in hooking up with any other Raiders on the Central Coast who would like to join me. :1fishing1:

davemmm - Is it you that does a fair bit of fishing up roseville bridge way? I go to uni just near there and would be keen to hit it up in search of flatties nd jew if you are interested. I mainly use SP's but also dont mind live baiting...

Not me Dicko

But if you want to come down south to the Georges I am more than happy to share my view of the world with you whilst we catch very few fish

Dave

Well i think

bream

blackfish

reddies for the first time (see how i go)

winter kings

salmon if there around great sportfish on lite gear

would mind giving blue eye a go but don,t think i will get out that far. :biggrin2: