Split Shots

Littledinghy

Hi Raiders,

I have been fishing for blackies for awhile now, thanks to raiders who are giving good advice, and I am loving it, I like the thrill of landing the fish with very light line, they really fight hard. Anyway, I have another question, what do you do with the used split shots? I used about 4 or 5 of them for every rig and over time I accumulated a fair amount, sometimes I do reopen them but I find it very hard to do because they're so tiny. so, Raiders, any ideas?

Thanks,

Scout

Hi Scout

Good to see another blackie convert!!! :)

I'd try to use a single weight with only 1 or 2 split shot, as once you use more than 3 splitshot, it can cause tangles in your line.

Then you only have to remove one as the tide changes & if you use good quality ones, they can be reused many times (the ones with the little crown on them, to make them reusable.) Gillies is the good brand - I bought another brand (can't remember the name,) but they were useless! Looked similar, but useless!

Roberta

Hi Scout,

Some good suggestions above. Another thing that I do is to flatten them with a hammer and then you can cut them to the size you want and crimp them on the line this way. Good if you need just an extra little bit of weight to add to the line.

Cheers

howard

Hi Scout,

Some good suggestions above. Another thing that I do is to flatten them with a hammer and then you can cut them to the size you want and crimp them on the line this way. Good if you need just an extra little bit of weight to add to the line.

Cheers

howard

Good on you Howard. :thumbup: That's top information on re-using split shots. Great to see you passing on half a century of hands on experience.

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Toss the split shot to the s%^thouse get your selfsome damp course lead sheet cut it into strips about 4- 6mm wide then cut the strips into individual lenghts of about 1.5cm and using long nose pliers fold it in half to a v shape then press onto to your line with pliers (does not crimp the line and you can easily trim it to fine tune the floats bounancy. My standard rig is a float weighted with a # 1 or 2 barrell and above a swivel then more main line (15 - 20cm) and a second swivel in between the two swivels i add the sheet lead to fine tune the to the desired bounancy then attach a leader to bottom swivel. Effective and age old method the sheet lead is easily trimmed and opened using a penknife and best of all you shold be able to procure damp coarse from a builder plumber mate for free!

Cheers

Royce