Gotta Make This Post ... First One!

Adz

First post! (remember yours, by any chance...?) :1welcomeani:

Anyhows, decided the day was too good and at the very last moment towed my tinnie to the boat ramp right near work on the Nerang River in QLD, pretty much on a whim. Never fished it, never even really seen it...

Launched and travelled down stream, spotted a location:

bridge pylon = 'check'

sand bank = 'check'

steep drop off = 'check'

flowing water = 'check'

structure = 'check'

bend in river = 'check'

good water flow = 'check'

bait fish = 'check'

What luck. Rod, reel, lure ---> already in the water! :1fishing1:

Ten minutes later ... getting impatient. Slow down Adz... Slow down.

Going slow, BANG I'm on! Oh god, I wish there was someone I could share it with ??!!??

Short time later and it's flattie in the boat. :yahoo:

Legal = 'yes'

Happy = YOU BETCHA!! :yahoo::biggrin2:

Stayed another hour, looking for that elusive PB (oh bugger ... that WAS it!!). OK so today, only one more flattie (and only 'just' legal) but at the moment, I feel like I've gone PRO!

Later on however, there was not enough to feed the tribe, so both were returned to the water with clear instructions to grow up (and remember my boat rego :074: ).

Needless to say, a local with an electric motor (ooooohhhhh, I want one!), glided along and caught both their parents in, what felt like ... 30 seconds :05:

With modest gear and just a few months since I *first* threw in a line (at 33, mind you) Mate ...................... today was a *GREAT* day !! :thumbup: so I HAD to share it.

Do YOU remember YOUR first time????

Thanx for listening, Adz

Oh, and AFTER I'd let them go... I kicked myself for not taking photos!

:1welcomeani:

:074: A very enjoyable report, Adz :thumbup:

Your enthusiasm is infectious and judging by the tone of your report, it is only a matter of time before you smash your new PB. Great stuff mate, keep it up. TAKE SOME PHOTOS!

Hodgey

Edited by Hodgey

Mate top report.. Im no pro but i know that feeling when people catch big fish right under you. It sucks. just means we need to fish more to get better (thats what i tell the misses). Well done.

Cheers Benny.

i know that feeling when people catch big fish right under you.

Cheers Benny.

Nice of you to regale your inner thoughts on your new found passion.

Like any hobby - past time - sport, we all start out inexperienced, that's what it's all about. We watch other people, look, and learn their techniques, and strive to emmulate them - or go one better. If you didn't see the "parents" caught then maybe your passion may have diminished and you thought fishing was a fallasy.

Great to see that, at your young age, you have adopted fishing into your lifestyle - good on ya! No doubt you will be posting stories and pictures of your achievements in the future.

P.S. I'm interested to know how you have only just started fishing now - if that's not too personal.

P.S. I'm interested to know how you have only just started fishing now - if that's not too personal.

Well mate, it's just that dad passed when I was 4 and no other males in family (both grandparents gone and no brothers or male cousins in the area - family flooded with girls!)

Adding to that, my only experience with fishing had always been putting a frozen prawn on a rusty hook tied off with a granny knot. The only thing I'd catch after sitting three hours in the one spot was the odd snag. So, it's not surprising it didn't hold much appeal.

Late last year a mate was fishing with plastics and I sat back talking crap and drinking bourbon. After seeing his second fish pulled into the boat, I wanted a go. Didn't catch anything, but loved the 'hunting' style version of plastics. Always on the move and doing ALL the work (no waiting or trolling). Also if there's no fish in one spot, then move to another...

Loving the 'brains' part of reading the water, structure, area. Choosing the 'right' plastic and making it 'swim' in all different ways to entice the target fish.

I am truly addicted!

Thanks for asking, Adz

Hi Adz,

Nice report and :1welcomeani: to Fishraider! here you will find a lot of information regarding everything about fishing. The people in here are very knowledgable and I hope you get a lot of information from all the existing threads in here. If you want to know something best to use the search tool first.

I can remember my first catch when I was around 4 years old. My uncle took me out fishing some where near Rockhampton. It was on a hand reel with a white fishy looking plastic lure. Me uncle casted it out for me. after maybe 30 mins I had that exciting moment when the hand reel almost flew out of my hands and i was screeming :1yikes: "fishy fishy!!!" my uncle helped me reel it in and I learnt that it was called a "Flat head" kept it and cooked it at my dads Restaurant :thumbup: it was the best time. And a very memorable experience because I can still remember that moment. Im 26 now and its still there in the easy access foler in the memory bank of my head.

Only recently I started getting into fishing again, and this forum has been great.

Would like to read about how everyone else caught their very first fish!!!

Cheers,

Katsuo

:biggrin2:

Welcome Adz....

Not to say that you won't be braining them in no time flat, but i reckon if you (and ya mate) invest $150 each in a local estuary charter that only uses plastics, hard bodies and poppers in the area you most commonly fish, a new world will be opened up to you.

He'll set you straight on technique, lure choice and positions. I did that about 9 months ago down in Hodgeys neck of the world and it changed my fishing life forever. He will probably be gliding around with an electric and as you said it a must have for sport fishing.

Look forward to many more enthusiastic reports....how refreshing....

Sport Fishing, you gotta love it!!!!!!

"Not to say that you won't be braining them in no time flat, but i reckon if you (and ya mate) invest $150 each in a local estuary charter that only uses plastics, hard bodies and poppers in the area you most commonly fish, a new world will be opened up to you" - Poddy Trapper...

Poddy - mate, what a great idea! If anyone reading this can vouch for a person up here on Gold Coast, QLD speak now or forever hold your peace. Jewhunter (on this forum) has kindly offered to meet up with me to do just that. Looking forward to it ... desperately, actually.

Katsuo - dude! What a GREAT reply . Thanks and REALLY enjoyed reading that. Reminiscing about your first time was a VERY interesting read. You saying "fishy, fishy" was what brought the biggest smile to my face, very cool :thumbup:

Cheers to all who have replied. Oh, what a kick to get so many replies to such a simple post on my first time.

Adz

Poddy - mate, what a great idea! If anyone reading this can vouch for a person up here on Gold Coast, QLD speak now or forever hold your peace. Jewhunter (on this forum) has kindly offered to meet up with me to do just that. Looking forward to it ... desperately, actually.

Adz

Adz,

I remember reading in Modern Fishing a few months ago about a dude on the Gold Coast who does just that. Targets Lizards and Bream from memory.

I'll pull out the mag and PM you with his contact details.

Good luck.....