Syd Harbour 6-5-08

Penguin

Hi every one, my mate Bill and I went out on the Harbour for a fish.

We started off at Balmoral, where we caught a heap of Tailor and Trevs and

a couple of good solid Bream.All the Trevs here were returned as they came in

at 27-32cm, even at just over 30cm there is not much meat on them.

We went over to Clfton gdns after a couple of hours and managed to bag a heap

more Trevs here but of much better size, 34-37cm, also on offer were some Leather

Jackets (returned, i dont like them) and some Slimeys which were kept for bait and

berley purposes next time out.

We had great numbers of Garfish all around us that were very skittish and were mostly

reluctant to take a bait. We got a couple to use as live bait, we would have had a 3rd

if it wasnt for the fat arse King that swam up and took the Gar straight off Bills tiny hook :ranting2:

only 2ft from us, and I can tell u that Kings like their Gars tail end 1st.

After a while all the Garfish exploded out of the water and were

mostly in airborne packs, " get ready here come the predators I tell Bill," as we had a

couple of Gars out suspended under floats, the Gars came flying and skipping across the

water at our feet at the back of the boat, and then I saw the predators swim by at

an incredible pace less than a metre from us, aaaaaagh Penguins :ranting2: .

For the next 10mins they would chase and harass the Gars who were trying their best to

stay in the air, it was a good show to watch. After all this commotion the bite slowed right

down so we set off for home while it was still early.

penguin

post-1664-1210119686_thumb.jpg

Edited by penguin

Penguin out with the penguins :1prop: sounds like you had some fun out there mate plus a nice Autumn catch there.. gotta love the Trevs this time of year and they will only get bigger as the water continues to cool down good catch any size to the Tailor yet?

Geez that's a nice bag of fish.

Just a note on penguins - I allways thought penguins would be able to tell the difference between a real baitfish and a lure, or a baitfish with a hook in it.

Well I was proved wrong a few months ago when i was trolling in pittwater. I saw a boil behind my lure, slowed down, gave a few twiches and i was on. This thing just did barrel rolls to the boat where i discovered to my horror it was a penguin. Had to get him into the boat to get the hooks out. He chucked a massive tanty but finally got a towel around his head, managed to subdue him long enough to get the hooks out and put him back in the drink.

We were both a little shaken up by the experience, but I've learnt my lesson and i hope the penguin did too!

Anyone else caught a penguin before???

Great read, Penguin ... especially about your 'namesakes' :074: As if it isn't hard enough fighting boat traffic, weather conditions, tides, etc, and then you have to contend with those little marauders! :mad3:

Those breambos look to be in great condition! How would you rate the eating qualities of the trev, and do you prepare them in any specific fashion?

Well done mate. Great session :thumbup:

Hodgey

Hi every one, my mate Bill and I went out on the Harbour for a fish.

We started off at Balmoral, where we caught a heap of Tailor and Trevs and

a couple of good solid Bream.All the Trevs here were returned as they came in

at 27-32cm, even at just over 30cm there is not much meat on them.

We went over to Clfton gdns after a couple of hours and managed to bag a heap

more Trevs here but of much better size, 34-37cm, also on offer were some Leather

Jackets (returned, i dont like them) and some Slimeys which were kept for bait and

berley purposes next time out.

We had great numbers of Garfish all around us that were very skittish and were mostly

reluctant to take a bait. We got a couple to use as live bait, we would have had a 3rd

if it wasnt for the fat arse King that swam up and took the Gar straight off Bills tiny hook :ranting2:

only 2ft from us, and I can tell u that Kings like their Gars tail end 1st.

After a while all the Garfish exploded out of the water and were

mostly in airborne packs, " get ready here come the predators I tell Bill," as we had a

couple of Gars out suspended under floats, the Gars came flying and skipping across the

water at our feet at the back of the boat, and then I saw the predators swim by at

an incredible pace less than a metre from us, aaaaaagh Penguins :ranting2: .

For the next 10mins they would chase and harass the Gars who were trying their best to

stay in the air, it was a good show to watch. After all this commotion the bite slowed right

down so we set off for home while it was still early.

penguin

post-1664-1210119686_thumb.jpg

Nice catch

I was also out on the harbour yesterday and caught about 8 travs all returned( like you say aROUND THE 30CM FULL OF BONES).

Got a couple of nice Snapper(32 and 34cm) kept them and a heap of pike(what are these fellas good for ????)

Was a sensational day out there yesterday]

Edited by hoges1974

Do you find the trevs OK to eat after being frozen?

Cheers

Tony

Mate I only eat fresh fish not frozen.

Everything we caught has already been shared out and cooked today.

I have 4-5 people at home usualy, and Bill has 5-6 at his place, his

grandmother lives right next door, and his aunt, uncle and cousins live

directly across the road from him, and last but not least I live next door

to 12 units that house old people, and when ever we arrive home after a

fish and are taking a few pics of our catch, some of them will always come out

for a look and possibly some fresh fish which they usualy cant afford, im

more than happy to give them some. Other Raiders who know me and Bill

know this is the case.

So you see, nothing goes into the freezer.

penguin

good catch any size to the Tailor yet?

They were mostly around 30-40cm in size, we kept the larger size ones

penguin

Those breambos look to be in great condition! How would you rate the eating qualities of the trev, and do you prepare them in any specific fashion?

Hodgey

I think Trevs taste nice, I just give them to my mum and she preps and cooks them in

different ways. Im not much of a fan of cooking unless its on the bbq.

penguin

Great catch there penguin.

I also had a Penguin scare off the gars on saturday. Once the penguin scares them away its all over. Would have thought you would have more control over your own kind

Great catch there penguin :thumbup: , I was out yesterday down rigging how flat was the harbour (LOVELY)

Think i seen you at cf in the big blue beast you passed me on your way back near shark island.

I got 2 of smallest kings ever from 40 to 45cm.