Pesky Leatheries...

jim77

Went out yesteday to one of my favourite bottom bashing spots and caught plenty of BIG jackets. I didn't realise they grew that big - biggest one would have been pushing 50cms. There were heaps of fish on the sounder including some real big arcs but i couldn;t get through the bloody jackets!

I don't mind catching them as they taste superb but just wondering is there any way to stop them biting you off. Is there a Leather Jacket proof rig? And if so can anyone explain to me what it is.

Cheers

Jim

G'day jim77. I agree that jackets are okay to eat, but they drive me crazy when they bite off your rigs. :1badmood:

I've tried using rigs made of wire 4-5m long, but the little buggers bite above it!! Unbelievable! It's even more frustrating when you think there are some good fish somewhere beneath the jackets.

We were fairly lucky fishing off Kurnell Saturday that we only had a few bite offs, but we didn't catch any jackets. There were heaps of sweep though.

If anyone has a jacket-proof rig I'd like to see it!

Cheers

Peter

an old flatty hunter i know used stainless steel wire[welding wire] he put a hook at the bottom 1 half way up and one at the top he used to get a flatty on the bottom and 2 jacket on the uthers

as mentioned above no smell of bait on the main line

hope this helps

gary

we went out few weeks ago and brought home a feed of jackets, we found out that they actually went for our sivels, which were gold in colour...

when we found out we didnt use sivels just tie the main line to leader, and had no bite offs after that besides ocassionaly bite off just at our hooks

Hi, I use those packet paternoster rigs (*****) with 2 hook droppers. They are all plastic coated wire. I put 2 in a row and then tie an 4-5 m double in the mainline above. If I fish in about 40m (Boultons Reef usually for the jackets) i drift and burley them up towards the boat. When they come up as close as 10-15 M deep I wont get bitten off the main line at all. I will occasionally loose a rig if I'm not concentrating on the drop and drop my rig past them. I always keep an eye on the sounder so I don't drop too far. Hope that helps.....