Quick Fish

fishmaniac

Decided to go for a fish today. Havn't had the chance in a while due to uni and work etc etc.....

After spending the summer months in persuit of kingfish, i decided to try the old bottom bash. I'm not to knowledgeable about middle harbour kings in the cooler months so i gave it a miss.

The swell was about 1-1.5m and it was long. So out i go in my 13ft tinnie. I was on the prowl for schooling salmon but saw absolutely no surface activity at all. Some guys working the rocks with flies and lures didn't seem to be having much luck either. Did some bottom bashing and managed a nice snapper (35cm) which was kept and an array of reefies (moari wrass, cod, sergeant baker etc) which all went back.

The wind dropped to nothing so i thought heck, use the remainder of pilles for float baiting. Interestingly i got two takes. It was on whole pilly about 8m below the surface. It was a gradual pull and whatever it was, took the bait lower and lower. I let whatever it was run for a good perdf of time and when i tightened up it just pulled the hook woth no bait. This happened twice. The water was about 100ft deep off north head. Anyone got any idea what the hell it may have been? It happened twice.

Went back in for a feed of calamari, fishing around manly amongst the moorings. Got six of em including one horse of a calamari. One of my biggest to date. Its pictured up against a more average sized calamri and the 35cm snapper. That white box has the length to accomodate a legal kingie straight for more of a size indication.

post-6215-1210681917_thumb.jpg

Fishmaniac

i reckon it would have been another squid probaly one about the same size as the monster you got. try bringing the line up very slowly next time or baiting up your pilchard on a squid jig. You can get jigs that just have the small rods with the barbs on the end, they are made for baits. good luck next time