Good Fish Lost; Human Error To Blame

humesy

Hit a trusted old spot (land-based) straight after work that has been fishing well lately. Loads of surface action I knew that the jewies were around. Had two livies out and used a third rod to cast a hard-bodied lure. The larger livie rod buckles and there is a good fish on the end. Bought him right to the bank, had him beaten and there was a nice 90cm fish ready to be netted. Trouble was, the lure I had used (still rigged up) had become tangled in the net. Spinning rod fell over as I grabbed the net, tangle and chaos ensues. DAMN! In the five seconds I took to ponder the situation, the fish rolled over and came off the hook, right at my feet.

Luckily, the fridge is quite full at the moment but jeez it hurts when you only have yourself to blame.

Edited by humesy

I feel for you Humesy. I lost a 70cm+ flattie a couple of weeks ago. Had him on the bank. Forgot to bring my net, one head shake and she was gone. Makes the feeling worse when you actually see the fish you lost. where did you lose that fish? Near the spot you saw me at last weekend?

Andrew,

Mate thats a bummer.

Only consolation is that at least it wasnt bigger. Youve landed plenty of 90cm models.

That would have really hurt to look at your PB to then see him swim away.

I just got back from Hong Kong. No fish to be had there. We are very lucky in OZ.

Just leaving for a quick sess at the hole to blow the HK pollution from my head.

Cheers.

Andrew Fancy losing a good jewfish like that! You're now on fatigue duty with the rest of your plasticine ruler flicker students at school !! :lol: they would teach you better habits with chewing gum rather than getting idle trebbles caught up in your net and losing a jew. Next time the net goes in the water between a couple of rocks with a container of frozen burley inside it and roped back out of the way. There's not much current in close between the rocks up there, so the burley should bring the tiddlers and peckers in close and only then you may launch your jew rods out behind the rubbish :thumbup:.

Oh and furthermore stop fiddling around with harbodies, you know it will be big jew on the live baits versus the usual bugger all on the hardbodies, that's for sure. Now return to the bunker Andrew, but in future you'll be closely watched in your private little monk like retreat near billy goat hill and remember Billy Bunter old mate, you've only been given a temporary reprieve for now :D

EDIT : Andrew I just received your pm and that billy goat hill secret spot of yours will never be revealed and besides it can only be the one under the loose volcanic cliffs in the roped off area between the mountain bike club graveyard and new correctional centre escape route, the equivalent of it's U.S sister, Alcratraz where even the hanged get shot on sight. :lol::074:

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Oh Andrew, the only other fisherman who knows the ropes and slings to get anywhere near there is Mike Zenman, and he's going to go over soon on a sliding hangman's knot on the rocks around the still water on the very bottom of the tide. :D

Edited by jewgaffer

I so, so sympathise Humesy.

A few weeks back I watched the big yellow tail of an 80 cm Kingy head back to the depths after a clumsy net attempt encouraged him to make one last dive and pop the trace. You can be sure that every fish landed scince has been carefully netted, and that all knots and traces have been checked thoroughly. It's an empirical business this fishing. It's all got to be right on the night.

Cheers,

Rick

Andrew Fancy losing a good jewfish like that! You're now on fatigue duty with the rest of your plasticine ruler flicker students at school :lol: they would teach you better habits with chewing gum rather than getting idle trebbles caught up in your net and losing a jew. Next time the net goes in the water between a couple of rocks with a container of frozen burley inside it and roped back out of the way. There's not much current in close between the rocks up there, so the burley should bring the tiddlers and peckers in close and only then you may launch your jew rods out behind the rubbish :thumbup:.

Oh and furthermore stop fiddling around with harbodies, you know it will be big jew on the live baits versus the usual bugger all on the hardbodies, that's for sure. Now return to the bunker Andrew, but in future you'll be closely watched in your private little monk like retreat near billy goat Hill and remember Billy Bunter old mate, you've only been given a temporary reprieve for now :D

EDIT : Andrew I just received your pm that billy goat hill spot can only be in the high rocky roped off area between the mountain bike club and the correctional centre, the equivalent of it's U.S sister, Alcratraz.

:biggrin2:

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Oh Andrew the only other fisherman who knows the ropes and slings to get there is Mike Zenman, but he goes over on a sliding hangman's knot. :D

Cheers Byron, You've confused even me now but I have had a good laugh. You are right though; I belong with the dead heads, drongoes, dunces and pea brains. I like your idea about the net.

I'm starting to realise the further you immerse yourself in fishing for mulloway the further you slip towards permanent and serious psychosis...

Always good for a laugh though :)

Bad luck on the lost fish humesy but I reckon there's another one with your name on it just round the corner..

Cheers

Tony

Andy - got back from Canberra yesterday and was to head down last night but the bubble and strife got the better of me. Heading up the coast tomorrow for an overnighter to do some fishing up near Foster if you can get away from those little blokes at lunch time!!

Cheers

Jamo

Andy - got back from Canberra yesterday and was to head down last night but the bubble and strife got the better of me. Heading up the coast tomorrow for an overnighter to do some fishing up near Foster if you can get away from those little blokes at lunch time!!

Cheers

Jamo

Hey Rich,

Would love to head up north but I have a junior rugby team to coach on saturday morning. I am pretty tied up until the holidays.

Cheers mate