Jigging Reel

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

I have a US-made jigging rod (threadlime model), whcih so far I was using for live-baiting (kingfish, etc). Next season - if I'm lucky - I may get far enough out of Botany or pehraps Harbour to try some "light" jigging - again kingfish and the like. I have Daiwa spitfire 3000 on it which will not handle jigging.

Can anybody please recommend me a threadline (preferably a Shimano) that does not cost a fortune but can handle/suitable for jigging? Basically an entry level jigging reel?

Thanks

.....for the spheros getting a stronger drag and more bearings to take the strain of jigging.

steve

Hi Kirkby

In your case I'd say TLD 25 and be done with it. The spinning reel might take the strain of deepwater jigging but if you happen to hook up bigtime when you go up north Stevie the spinning reel will probably need a fair bit of juggling to save all the bits and pieces.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I would not recommend a reel like a TLD for jigging....jigging with an overhead is much harder and a tld would take considerably longer to get the jig down..

Instead of going for a spheros you can go for the new Shimano Saragosa series...this are already nicknamed the Super Spheros.....awesome reels with heaps of drag but much cheaper then a Stella or Saltiga....

Here are some specs

Shimano Saragosa 14000

This is the reel some are calling the "Super Spheros"; a proven design with all the features serious saltwater anglers wanted, plus Shimano's latest Propulsion Line Management System and Paladin Gearing.

High Speed Retrieve

Stopperless Design (No Anti-Reverse Switch)

Aluminium Frame

Aluminium Rotor

One-Piece Bail Wire

AeroWrap Oscillation

Six S-A-RB Shielded Ball Bearings plus a roller bearing

Direct Drive Mechanism

Machined Aluminium Handle Shank

Drilled Spool Skirt

Titanium Spool Lip

Easy Access Dartainium Drag Washers

Ergonomic Septon Handle Grip

Repairable Clicker

Model 14000F retrieves 104cm per handle turn from a 4.9:1 gear ratio, weighs 800g, and has a capacity of 350yds 20lb nylon, 290/25lb, 220/30lb. Maximum drag is 20kg.

post-1441-1212330353_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys,

I must admit I feel slightly lost on spheros - e.g. where to get that upgraded version, and I can't use an overhead reel as the rod is a spin one. So saragosa seems to be something I can comprehed :D, thanks netic.

Just 2 questions - is 14000 the proper size for jigging (I assume it is) and what does "Stopperless Design (No Anti-Reverse Switch) " mean?

ANy other suggestions are appreciated btw

Thanks

Thanks guys,

I must admit I feel slightly lost on spheros - e.g. where to get that upgraded version, and I can't use an overhead reel as the rod is a spin one. So saragosa seems to be something I can comprehed :D, thanks netic.

Just 2 questions - is 14000 the proper size for jigging (I assume it is) and what does "Stopperless Design (No Anti-Reverse Switch) " mean?

ANy other suggestions are appreciated btw

Thanks

go see tony at fishfinder and he will do the spheros and the upgrades for you, I did about a year ago and am very pleased with the reel. it will handle just about anything.

• 2 weeks later...