Bottom Bouncing Charter

slinkymalinky

I had the opportunity to go bottom bouncing on a charter recently and I'd like to say it lived up to my expectations. The boat was magnificently set up to fish 20 people along 1 side. It was such a good arrangement that I must have only counted about 2000 tangles during the day. There was quality bait like pilchards that would have been less than a month old and the choicest prawns and squid from only discerning service stations.

When not vomiting or untangling lines, the guests got to sample the exciting sport fishing offered by a diverse range of species like sweep, red rock cod, pike, Sargent Baker and others which put up a spirited fight on 50lb mono with a 16oz lead hanging at the bottom. Many of these quality fish were then taken home to turn into magnificent meals (including some Pike).

..... In all seriousness, those bottom bouncing charters serve a particular market (people who maybe fish a couple of times a year and are happy catching anything). I don't envy them dealing with the chaos on board and it must be a bugger of a way to make a living but as a few of you know, I wasn't expecting much and I got it. A good way to spend a day if the weather is nice and you're looking for an excuse to sink a few beers but not the stuff sport fishing dreams are made of.

Now... let me see... where's that photo of my flowerpot for FOTM... oh no, tradgedy!... I didn't take one. Oh well, you'll just have to believe me... it was thiiiiiiis big!

cheers, Slinky

Haha I've given up on charters, after such a bad charter we went out and bought a boat of our own and havn't looked back since!

Last charter we booked out the whole boat and they refused to not go out futher then 24 fathoms on a flat day when we wanted 36/50s. Current was fine everything, took us for fools.

:mad3:

Why ont you give Tony a ring from Fishfinder. He does charters and while no one can guarantee fish he will cater to any type of fishing you wish to do. Whether it be floatlining, jigging even bottom bashing but hopefully over more producive grounds. Give him a call and have a word to him! Tell him Dave the carpenter sent you.

Heading out in a couple of weeks on one of Fishfinder's charters to do some 'real' fishing and chase the yellowfin. Next time you see me near a reef it will be back in my own boat or on another Raiders boat with soft plastic outfit in hand.

:biggrin2: Slinky

Bottom fishing Charters can be a whole heap of fun with your friends or mates and the ones I have been on are always fun.

You get the odd good mowie or red and a heap of ooglies,so what you are out for a day with friends.

If you want to go out on a full blown sportfishing trip ? you can always ask the charter captain if he indeed does that.

Both of our sponsors Fishfinder and Broadbill Charters indeed do that and even the Mighty Hunter men who regularly do the game scene love nothing more than goin down to the hump and drifting pillies down for a nice feed of reds and I can vouch for that as I have been on 4 or 5 of those trips and so have a lot of members from this site and its an absolute ball doing this and if the conditons arent just right they do the "bottom bashing" drift and still manage to pull good table fish even if you get a few ooglies mixed in.

Never close your mind to ways people fish as you may be surprized at the next 5 kg reddie you catch is on a 50lb deep sea rod and a 9 inch alvey with a pound lead attached to it :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy