I've Died And Gone To Heaven!

Kit

I'm typing this post from my hotel room in Osaka right now, but I've just spent a few days in Tokyo.

I didn't do much research before I came, but did manage to find a couple of tackle stores.

Check out these pics! The tackle store is called Joshuya, and they have stores all over Tokyo. The pics here are of their Shibuya store; there is 4 levels of this!!!

I also visited another couple of tackle stores: Sansui (another chain), and Tackleberry (2nd hand gear), but they didn't seem to have as much range as Joshuya.

Can't wait to get back and use some of my new gear!

post-101-1212504896_thumb.jpg

post-101-1212504913_thumb.jpg

post-101-1212504930_thumb.jpg

Are these stores privately owned?

How could one possibly afford to keep that level of stock?

There must be millions of dollars worth of gear - that is one floor of four, plus their other branches.

Maybe it's consignment stock? :wacko:

Are these stores privately owned?

How could one possibly afford to keep that level of stock?

There must be millions of dollars worth of gear - that is one floor of four, plus their other branches.

Maybe it's consignment stock? :wacko:

You must remember that Japan has a huge population , and they have a diet which includes a lot of sea food. I would hazard a guess that the stock held / customer ratio would be pretty similar to ours.

Ross

You must remember that Japan has a huge population , and they have a diet which includes a lot of sea food. I would hazard a guess that the stock held / customer ratio would be pretty similar to ours.

Ross

How did he manage to take a photo with no one in the shot then? :1yikes::1yikes:

There seems to be quite a few customers in the fishing shops.

I have no idea what the fishing in Japan is like, but nearly all of the gear is pretty light. Its hard to find big lures and big hooks etc.

Squidding is very popular in Japan, and there are whole sections dedicated to fishing.

Yeh, but he's got an apron on so he is probably staff? :1prop:

Maybe he is on a lunch break from a near by shop??? or it's just the fashion these days to walk around with an apron on....i know i'd do it.

cheers james

that is sensational!! whats the pricing like, similar to us?

Back in Sydney now

Umm. I'm not totally sure. Its cos they have so many different models of reels that we don't have in Australia, so its hard to say.. Also I'm not on top of all the latest models available here.

both of the stores I visited were chain stores, so pricing may not be sharp.

I saw packets of Berkley Powerbait for 700yen (just over $7 aussie), so thats is average pricing. But Ecogear soft plastics are 450yen (under $5 aussie a pack which is really cheap).

I vaguely remember Shimano Ultegra spinning reels in the 2000 size around 135000 yen which is pretty cheap. But the problem is, even the models that we have here, are different over there and there might be multiple specs in the same model.

I bought a 2008 Shimano Biomaster 4000 spinning reel for around $170 aussie. I think this is pretty much the same as out stradic. However, from memory the Stradic we get may be made in Malaysia, where as the Biomaster I got is a Japanese made reel.

For everyone saying stuff about the JDM and lack of customers... the shops weren't full of customers, but each shop had multiple staff, and a steady flow of people coming in and out to buy gear.

I guess if the market wasn't substantial, the Japanese wouldn't make so much gear for their domestic market. There are about 8 Sansui tackle stores and multiple Joshuya stores in the Tokyo area alone.

Remember, what we see overseas is only a fraction of that is available. The Japanese tend not to export the really good stuff.