Crab Offences Bring Harsh Fines

Ken A

A husband and wife have been fined more than $11,000 and forfeited an $8000 boat after pleading guilty in the Caboolture Magistrates Court to a series of crabbing offences.

Tony Le and Chung Thi Hua of Deception Bay pleaded guilty to possessing

79 female mud crabs; 10 undersized mud crabs; and 103 mud crab in excess of the permitted take and possession limit of 10 per person.

They also pleaded guilty to using five crab pots in excess of the legal limit of four each.

Tony Le was convicted and fined $6000 and $63.20 court costs and in default 120 days imprisonment. He has two years to pay.

Chung Thi Hua was convicted and fined $5000 plus $63.20 court costs and in default 100 days imprisonment. Mrs Hua was given 18 months to pay.

The magistrate also ordered a 4.15m aluminium speedboat estimated to be worth $8000 to be forfeited to the Crown.

This was the second court appearance for the couple on similar charges. They were fined $5000 each in December 2004 for possessing female and undersized mud crabs as well as having more than the legal take and possession limit.

While I applaud the efforts that caught these people it is the 2ND time they have been caught. I cannot understand why they are being given 2 years to pay the fine. To be caught twice & have that number of crabs in possesion its not just being greedy - money & selling crabs is involved. I think the magistrate has been far too soft!

Yes does sound a bit soft i think sink there boat with them on it only joking does any body know the restrictions on collecting sea urchins the other day on the rocks i witnessed a group of chinese collect 2 big gym bags full of them and i wasnt sure to say anything. Also i thought it was illegal to collect abalone in nsw i have witnessed many ppl collecting this from winney bay when they have been spearing

• 2 weeks later...

Yep pretty soft. if first offence then maybe not so harsh but bl@@dy hell. they deserve all they get. I remember years ago when we used to net prawns there people netting jeeny crab after jenny crab. they would move with the tide mid water with the prawn run and loosers woiuld damn well net 30-50 a night. wish they got caught. remember having many a heated argument with people over it. It was mainly around the Entrance area but I haveseen people take many a crab and shell fish in other places well undersize and over the limit many a time.

really gets n my nerves

Mitch