I Love Lyell

kiwi waynie

Gee I LOVE Lake Lyell,

We got away a little later than hoped due to i had steped on 4cm of nail at work and also having a wicked flu ment the mrs was demanding no trip the the doc no trip. So sat mornin saw me loading the ute to the gunnels with gear, tinny, fire wood and more.

Got to the lake at about 3pm only to find the spot i had hoped to camp taken by a bunch of rowdy but entertaining bunch of fellas on a boys weekend. So in goes the tinny to start hauling everything to the other side. Givin the wifes quite pregnant i had to do pretty much all the work with her doing as much as she could, i recon shes a bloody legend just for joining me. Didn't get set up til after dark so fishing was gunna wait til morning.

We woke sunday mornin to a steady drizzle, but it just wouldn't be Lyell without it. I was joined by my now rugged up properly Mrs after the coffee had been made, and down to serious fishin now. The first twitch of the rod came at 7.30 then the other rod got a more positive touch at the same time i say to her ready ready NOW and she comes up solid to her first trout. I was a bit disapointed didn't jump for her but it went hard enough on 3kg to give her a good intro all the same. I was a bit nervous as i ready my self with the net but sweet as, strait in and a big goofy smile from the Mrs, a nice hen of 40cm brings a big cheer from the fellas on the other side.

post-4283-1213076644_thumb.jpg

post-4283-1213076675_thumb.jpg

There was a few missed very tentitive bites there after and it wasn't till about 12ish that a rod buckels over releaving me from cooking lunch as a absolute beauty leaps into the air. Luckily it was a very slugish fight cause about 4m up from the fish ther was a big stick now caught up in the line, so i call for help from the Mrs only for the line to somehow get transfered from the stick to her finger as the fish jumped. Luckily all came sorted and i slid the net under this big buck rainbow 54cm.

post-4283-1213077383_thumb.jpg

Choice!

Was a bit quiet after that with a couple of about 30 cm fish realeased (they looked so small by then). At about 4.30 pm PJ Garn turn up to bunk in for the night, with all his stuff carted over it was around the camp fire with a port and a cigar to contemplate what all the poor pepole were doing tonight.

post-4283-1213081256_thumb.jpg

Next morning saw the three of us keen as tending our rods for some very tentitive bites. Given things were a bit slow a couple of about 30 cm fish caught by my wife found there way to the esky. Around mid day PJ Garn andi went for a blat in the tinny only too return to see my Mrs holding the landing net aloft with another 40cm hen. With storys of how this one put on a good airial display and how the trace broke as she netted it in in near mid air we all got back to the job.

post-4283-1213079022_thumb.jpg

A few small fish followed mostly to PJ Garn with him reluctantly keeping a 30cm fish. Pulled the pin about 4.30 tired, dirty but satisfied. Got to say it was the slowest old ducks birthday weekend i have fished but with all the small fish in the lake it holds good for the future if the water stays up.

Lata Raidas.

Waynie

Edited by kiwi waynie

That's a brilliant report Waynie, and a hearty congrats to 'mum-to-be' for bundling up against the cold and snaring some very nice fish. Good on her :clapping:! :thumbup:

Top Rainbow mate. Really well conditioned ... and looks reaaal tasty :drool: Gee those blokes look like they were having a ball! :074:

Hodgey

Well done KW,

Good to see the boss getting stuck in to it as well.

What did you get the fish on ??

Indeed the lake is a great spot.

Cheers

Roffo

all on rainbow power nuggets, and yep i was stoked to get ole loven kisses into a few.

Well done on the Trout Kiwi :thumbup: Good outdoor stuff ay, camping up there and sitting by the fire, I reckon I'd spend the whole night just adding more wood to the fire and dozing off occasionally in my favourite fold up chair, complete with baitboard for the sausages. I'd be looking forward to the warmth of sun up and getting into those rainbows and a few isometrics on the fly spin rods to get the circulation going for the rest of the day, no risk about that.

Well done Waynie. No doubt about that, a good bluewater session at SWR, a bag full of jew on the Hawkes and then a good freshwater session at Lyall, that's what good fishing is all about, that's for sure.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Maaaaaaate, Top report. I'm sold for a camp over next visit. I was up there with the family on the weekend but we stayed in a house on a property. Got all the gear for camping but got a bit spooked when we pulled into the reception area. It looked a bit like a caravan park. We ended up fishing two bays further up and some guys were camping at the end of this bay next to a boat ramp. Can you recommend a spot. I'm planning on taking a few roudy fishos who like drinking as much as fishing!

Chappo

Top write up Waynie!!! But you forgot to mention the two Yabbies that we had us for breakfast... had a great time with you and the wife and although the fishin' wasn't the best we've ever had, the experience (in my books) is what it's all about!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Looking forward to next years appointment at Lyell and our next adventure.

Cheers

PJ Garn

Great report Waynie :thumbup: Isn't it great when your missus gets her first Trout, I remember when mine got hers in NZ years ago, she loved it.

Good to see a big Rainbow too, did you get a weight?

Cheers

Windy

Guest GoFish Pete

Well done Waynie and your missus.

You really did well and it looks like you had a great time up there.

cheers

GoFish Pete

Gee I LOVE Lake Lyell,

We got away a little later than hoped due to i had steped on 4cm of nail at work and also having a wicked flu ment the mrs was demanding no trip the the doc no trip. So sat mornin saw me loading the ute to the gunnels with gear, tinny, fire wood and more.

Got to the lake at about 3pm only to find the spot i had hoped to camp taken by a bunch of rowdy but entertaining bunch of fellas on a boys weekend. So in goes the tinny to start hauling everything to the other side. Givin the wifes quite pregnant i had to do pretty much all the work with her doing as much as she could, i recon shes a bloody legend just for joining me. Didn't get set up til after dark so fishing was gunna wait til morning.

We woke sunday mornin to a steady drizzle, but it just wouldn't be Lyell without it. I was joined by my now rugged up properly Mrs after the coffee had been made, and down to serious fishin now. The first twitch of the rod came at 7.30 then the other rod got a more positive touch at the same time i say to her ready ready NOW and she comes up solid to her first trout. I was a bit disapointed didn't jump for her but it went hard enough on 3kg to give her a good intro all the same. I was a bit nervous as i ready my self with the net but sweet as, strait in and a big goofy smile from the Mrs, a nice hen of 40cm brings a big cheer from the fellas on the other side.

post-4283-1213076644_thumb.jpg

post-4283-1213076675_thumb.jpg

There was a few missed very tentitive bites there after and it wasn't till about 12ish that a rod buckels over releaving me from cooking lunch as a absolute beauty leaps into the air. Luckily it was a very slugish fight cause about 4m up from the fish ther was a big stick now caught up in the line, so i call for help from the Mrs only for the line to somehow get transfered from the stick to her finger as the fish jumped. Luckily all came sorted and i slid the net under this big buck rainbow 54cm.

post-4283-1213077383_thumb.jpg

Choice!

Was a bit quiet after that with a couple of about 30 cm fish realeased (they looked so small by then). At about 4.30 pm PJ Garn turn up to bunk in for the night, with all his stuff carted over it was around the camp fire with a port and a cigar to contemplate what all the poor pepole were doing tonight.

post-4283-1213081256_thumb.jpg

Next morning saw the three of us keen as tending our rods for some very tentitive bites. Given things were a bit slow a couple of about 30 cm fish caught by my wife found there way to the esky. Around mid day PJ Garn andi went for a blat in the tinny only too return to see my Mrs holding the landing net aloft with another 40cm hen. With storys of how this one put on a good airial display and how the trace broke as she netted it in in near mid air we all got back to the job.

post-4283-1213079022_thumb.jpg

A few small fish followed mostly to PJ Garn with him reluctantly keeping a 30cm fish. Pulled the pin about 4.30 tired, dirty but satisfied. Got to say it was the slowest old ducks birthday weekend i have fished but with all the small fish in the lake it holds good for the future if the water stays up.

Lata Raidas.

Waynie

Well done waynie ,the missus has done a great job ,not just the fishing side of things,but for driving up there and camping all with baby on the way. Some good fish to be had as well.Wonder if the searabbit has seen your post yet,on thursday he was contemplating on going with you.

Dave :thumbup: