Windy Days And Sheltered Bends

Hodgey

G'day all

I guess it is windy from my place to yours and everywhere between :mad3: 3am this morning, the wind peaked at 78knots off Montague Island, making Wagonga Inlet an absolute no-go today. I was invited for a fish in the upper reaches of the river, so packed up my plastics and off I went.

We were fortunate to find several corners of the river that were sheltered from the majority of the wind, and spent the morning targetting the snags (water depth 10' max). I started off with an ultralight jig head to 6lb fluro leader, using 3" minnows in lime tiger. Fish interest was mediocre, with nothing really happening until the lure eventually reached the bottom in most cases.

Upsized jig head to 1/8 and changed to 1" grub in bloodworm. This combination received a lot of attention, and accounted for 3 bream, the largest being a paltry 24cm. Our drift took us across to a grassy bank that was obviously undercut. No visible structure to speak of, although the trees on the banks threw a great deal of shadow. Dropped 2 bloody good fish along this stretch, again on the grub :angry2:Tighten your damned drag, Hodgey!

Scott managed to land an undersized bream from a snag a little further up. He was using the smallest wriggler in a hot tail combination. Unfortunately this was his only fish for the day. Even in the shelter of this very narrow water the wind became too difficult to manage, especially without an electric. This was my first SP session with Scotty and was thoroughly enjoyable. Some promising new water and some entertaining company. I know where I will be heading when this wind backs off. ;)

Hodgey

Hodgey,

This must be your first post that you have not included pictures.

I always look forward to seeing pictures of your outings.

Maybe even some scenic pictures to keep my morals high.

Great effort though when most fishos made excuses for the day.

Cheers

Mariner

G'day all

I guess it is windy from my place to yours and everywhere between :mad3: 3am this morning, the wind peaked at 78knots off Montague Island, making Wagonga Inlet an absolute no-go today. I was invited for a fish in the upper reaches of the river, so packed up my plastics and off I went.

We were fortunate to find several corners of the river that were sheltered from the majority of the wind, and spent the morning targetting the snags (water depth 10' max). I started off with an ultralight jig head to 6lb fluro leader, using 3" minnows in lime tiger. Fish interest was mediocre, with nothing really happening until the lure eventually reached the bottom in most cases.

Upsized jig head to 1/8 and changed to 1" grub in bloodworm. This combination received a lot of attention, and accounted for 3 bream, the largest being a paltry 24cm. Our drift took us across to a grassy bank that was obviously undercut. No visible structure to speak of, although the trees on the banks threw a great deal of shadow. Dropped 2 bloody good fish along this stretch, again on the grub :angry2:Tighten your damned drag, Hodgey!

Scott managed to land an undersized bream from a snag a little further up. He was using the smallest wriggler in a hot tail combination. Unfortunately this was his only fish for the day. Even in the shelter of this very narrow water the wind became too difficult to manage, especially without an electric. This was my first SP session with Scotty and was thoroughly enjoyable. Some promising new water and some entertaining company. I know where I will be heading when this wind backs off. ;)

Hodgey

Well done on getting a few, If you could not find shelter on all those bends down there spare a thought for all the dog owners up here that are only left with chains. Cant wait to get down there again.

Hodgey, thats a good effort mate

I have tried the around the bend trick before too. I remember on afternoon up currumbene creek chasing breambo's it was blowing a gale but the creek bends sharply every 100 or so metres so i fished the sheltered bends all day long.

Hodgey have you ever used resin heads for Bream, i have used them but find they can be too light.

Whats your thoughts?

Good job anyway hodgey :thumbup: