Joining Braid To Flurocarbon Leader

WillN

im currently using a double uni knot to join my 8lb fireline to a 12lb flurocarbon leader, however i noticed that on one occasion, the knot slipped! has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, what can i do about it?! i'd like to try the albright knot but the diagrams i've seen just confuse the heck out of me! :wacko:

Get hold of a Geoff Wilson knot book if you haven't already... there's a really simple knot called the twisted leader knot that I use in light gelspun... works with or without a double... and I've never had it fail. It's dead simple. With heavier braid/leaders I use one he calls simply the braid leader knot (but I've seen it called all sorts of things) which needs a double but it's much more finnicky.

Cheers, Slinky

slipping you can do nothing about

really tie it properly

for me i use a improved albright or a 5 turn surgeon

you you can get someone to show you a few times you will pick it up really easy

Both our sponsors sell knot books that will help you learn this knot :biggrinthumb:

You will also find an animated demonstration here:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?

When you first learn to tie a new knot, use some thicker lines (and different colors if you can) so you can see what you're doing. Once you've mastered it ... away you go! Good luck

Hodgey

....im currently using a double uni knot to join my 8lb fireline to a 12lb flurocarbon leader, however i noticed that on one occasion, the knot slipped!

Hi WillN

Now this knot won't slip and is slim line. Tie a four turn uni knot in the leader and a half blood in the fireline or any braid for that the matter and pull them together . The fireline will pull into and below the face of the wrap of the unit knot :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

im currently using a double uni knot to join my 8lb fireline to a 12lb flurocarbon leader, however i noticed that on one occasion, the knot slipped! has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, what can i do about it?! i'd like to try the albright knot but the diagrams i've seen just confuse the heck out of me! :wacko:

Willn

as johnno mentioned i think it important that you get to sit down with some one

and get them to show you the correct way of tying the knot along with you..

then all you need do is practice it untill you get it all down pap......

regardless which connection you end up deciding on...

its effectivness will be dramatically reduced if done incorrectly or poorly tied

Do you get out west at all ?????? not withstanding what as allready been suggested a leader knot that i use

and you will also find easy to do and more importantly retains good strength is called a "Tony Jones"

i would be more than happy to sit down and go through it with you......

Cheers Warnie...

Mate for the weight lines you are using a double uni is fine just increase the number of wraps you do in the braid side of things. I had the same problem when starting out & the extra wraps in the braid fixed the problem no worries at all

Paul

thanks for the offer warnie, really appreciate it but i spend most of my time up north these days!

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'm definitely going to give all of those knots a go (once it stops raining that is)! im just paranoid about my line giving up on me when i finally hook that elusive jew!!