Blackfish Friday The 13th

hookerbruce

The plan was to bottom bounce off Cronulla on fri for flathead and jackets but the weather forcaste changed our minds.

The weather was good early and we were off the water before the wind came up.

We grabbed a handful of green weed and went in the Georges river and caught blackfish instead. Fished from 8:30 till 1100 am total catch 11 fish 4 released kept 7, best was 36cm. My son outfished me again him 4 me 3. We were both done by a bigger fish, which is the first time in quite a while.

I tried my son's new graphite blackfish rod, it was nice and light. Today I bought one almost the same.

If you're desperate to fish, a sheltered bit of rocky shoreline on the Georges is probably worth a try.

No photos as they were only a normal mornings catch

Keep Hooking

Bruce

Well done Bruce - we have noticed some nicer fish in our system just now, too! :) Had a hook almost straightened this morning! :( Can't wait to get out in the yak again & try the ones hiding in & around the leases .... that is where the real monsters are :)

Good to hear you got a nice light rod like your son's - it really does make a difference to the 'ease of fishing' & much less tiring!

Cheerio

Roberta

Nice one Hooker.... :thumbup:

The old Luderick are a great alternative when the weather is crap. You are lucky to have a weed source..

I just built myself a Loomis 9 footer for Blackies.. beautifully light and a great action. Those old glass or cane rods can be cumbersome.

Hi squidman

About two years ago the dog got in the my water feature and chewed up the pump which I never fixed.

Started throwing the leftover weed in the pond, after a few trips something started to grow.

So now have my own private greenweed supply in the backyard. Even though it is freshwater the weed is very tough and the fish don't seem to mind. Been using it for about a year now.

There is no chance of the pump being replaced now.

Hookerbruce

Hi squidman

About two years ago the dog got in the my water feature and chewed up the pump which I never fixed.

Started throwing the leftover weed in the pond, after a few trips something started to grow.

So now have my own private greenweed supply in the backyard. Even though it is freshwater the weed is very tough and the fish don't seem to mind. Been using it for about a year now.

There is no chance of the pump being replaced now.

Hookerbruce

How serendipitous... you are a lucky bastard! My pond has a couple of goldfish in it.. yes, I have thought of putting a 5/0 through one and sending it out....

My pond produces masses of stuff that looks very similar to greenweed, although much thicker. Iv always just chucked t out. Im talking literally kilos of it on a monthly basis! I will have to give it a try sometime!

Apparently it is caused by the phospate in the tap water reacting with sunlight. I have a pump and UV filter but it still grows!