Lights For Night Fishing

georgieboy

Gday raiders

Am going on a night sesson this week, was just wonderin what you guys use in terms of lighting??We will be hiring a boat so was just curious as to whether you'd come across some good lantern type products or had your own "DIY setups" supplying light...have got a few torches and headlamps but would rather a bigger light that can be left on throughout the night to make things a little easier.

Thanx guys

georgieboy :1prop:

The best night light's ive ever used were clip on lights that clip onto the brim of your cap.

Led lights x 4 with 4 different settings, massive range and brightness is unbelievable. Wouldn't go past them if i was night fishing.

Got ours off ebay.

I realise that many people have big wraps on having the boat lit up like Christmas but I think you are better off without interior lights. I use a head lamp, torch and a cheap lantern. If you sit in a dark boat your eyes adjust to the night and make it easier to see what is going on around you.

At times a bright boat can even stop you from seeing the movement at the tip of your rod.

When you need to see things like your hook or bait a headlamp is perfect, If you need to land a fish it doesnt matter how bright the floor of your boat is the fish is in the water and only a torch or good headlamp will spot it. After sitting in a dark boat you will spot the fish in the water better than if you have been in a bright interior.

Dave

Eveready do an LED head torch that has a red light option..plenty to see by but your eyes stay adjusted to the dark. That and a couple of the Osram LED Dots for $10 strategically placed around the boat for when you want white light work well.

Cheers

C.

G'day Georieboy,

I completely agree with Davemmm about an area light working against you becuase of what it does to your night vision.

I always use led head lamps for fishing and leave them switched off until I really need it. If you absolutely want a lantern, check out the Coleman rechargeable models. They weigh heaps but that's because the entire bottom section is a battery that will give you heaps of running time.

Cheers, Slinky

Whilst I find bright lights in the boat annoying, I am happy to have a couple of low mounted Flouro's for a couple of reasons.

They light up the floor space but not the water

they throw a reflection on the clears - helps other vessels see you at night .

I note that there seems to be more boats fishing now at night with little or no lights - a fact that I just cant understand after the recent fatalities we have had - I think that even if your in a bay or a no wash zone, there is no accounting for the actions of others & I would rather have lights annoying me than the pointy end of another boat !!

whoops, sorry about that, got into a rant about one of my pet peeves !

Thanks for the pointers guys, think ill get a few of thsoe headlamps and bring some dolphin torches aswell......tryhard thats a good point, it was actually prob my main motivation for needing light,safety, we hire the tinnie, it comes with nav light but still wouldnt mind standing out a little more!!!

none of us boys hav a boat licence, was just wondering are we allowed to anchor wherever we want at night time??shud we b stayin out of the middle of the channel etc etc, will most prob b around the bridges at brooklyn, should b ok if we got the light right???

thanx

Georgieboy :1prop:

Gday raiders

Am going on a night sesson this week, was just wonderin what you guys use in terms of lighting??We will be hiring a boat so was just curious as to whether you'd come across some good lantern type products or had your own "DIY setups" supplying light...have got a few torches and headlamps but would rather a bigger light that can be left on throughout the night to make things a little easier.

Thanx guys

georgieboy :1prop:

We use the kerosene pressure lantern when out in the tinny. The all-round light attracts baitfish by the squillions, which in turn brings in the thumper trevalley. Always end up with a dozen or so flying fish following the light and leaping in the boat.

Go to this link for more info

http://www.endtimesreport.com/BF-828R.html

Edited by Mariner 31

I use a flexible LED light strip which has been mounted to the bait board. Lights up the entire deck nicely..

I'm also using led head lamps and rechargeable led work lights which you can pick up from supercheap for about 20 bucks and are extremely bright in short distance.