Drift Baiting At Longy

brickman

post-6655-1214649340_thumb.jpg

post-6655-1214649241_thumb.jpg

hit longy at 6.00am dropped a pick near a little reef in 16meters with a drop off to 25meters on the north side

floated big fillets off slimmy and bonito out the berly trail

after 1 hour off sweep and parot fish neil boats a 450mm snapper

2 bait later a 450mm mowong,with dinner in the esky i was happy as

the next 2 hours were slow with 6 snapper boated and released due to a steady decrese in size

all snapper were legal but we had a feed and were chasing bigger reds

it all went quiet so we berlyed hard we had sweep every were and then a wish came true kings at the back off the boat and plenty off them

for the next 20 min,i through every thing we had ,nothing worked even peeled prawns were regected

we cubed up a heap off pillys and rigged up the bait catching gear a good shake off the berly pot 1 small cube fed down the trail at a time and sight fishing for kings

for the next 45 min,we boated 6 kings with double hookups a few times the only prob was they were all 500mm

still it was the best king session this year so far we had a ball and will be giving longy a good work over next time

gary

we had a blast with the small kings roberta[good mates and good fishing that's what it's all about]

john we did'nt even mention the word leatherjacket till we got back inside the heads[i think i wispered it once]

great to have a session with out sissor mouth hope they have p3ssed off

i seem to be geting hooked on sight fishing

i think it may be time to get a saltwater fly outfit have you guyes ever tryed fly fishing

gary

Good day out Gary,

I was reading about snapper today in a new mag i bought and I've decided to give longy a crack next week. It's great to hear about kings around there too. I take it you had no livies?

Does any one know of a good method or spot for livies around longy? I imagine you could just search for a school of slimeys or yakkas, but I've never fished there.

My tactic will be loads of burley (pillies etc) and light weights floated for the snapper with livies suspended below.

Tell me, would this tactic be better at anchor around longy or on a drift Gary?

Dave

ray do'nt tease me they looked bigger in the berly trail and there were about 15 hanging around owell

the funny thing is after the snapper i said it would top the day off if the kingys showed up 20 min later wish granted on the way home neil said all we need now is to see some wales and at north head there was a mother and calf being followed by 20 boats top day

dave that was the first time at longy in a boat but i know the area well from my surfing days and spear fishing many moon ago any way here's how i see it

longy out the frount is rowes off channles going from 12meters to 20 meters and about 40 meter across this goes out for about a mile with the channels runing south to north

just a matter off finding witch gutter there feeding in[

we found a small reef on the south side 11 meters on top and it fell away to 25 meters

droped the pick in 16 meters so we were over the edge and floating baites down to 25 meters you need to find witch way the currant will take your bait and anckor in the right place

i think with berly you need to be anckored but i could be wrong as for liveys we went just for snapper to see if salted was better than fresh it seems fresh is best in shallow water i think

dave if you need gps marks for longy i have about 6 that range from 26 meters to 54 meters deep

i think longy is a top spot but could be very dangeres in the wrong conditions as there are many little reefs at 10meters deep that would break in a good swell

we went about 3km straight out and it was only 35 meters deep

i would get liveyes before you head out off the harbor as the sweep were prolific and about plate size

your baits need to be big about 150mm long and 75mm wide in a triangle tip to the boat[this helps to keep the bait straight and not to get tangeles

dave they went off the bite around 9.30 ish and only got smaller from then on

cherrs gary