Green Weed

glennmreid

Hi Guys,

As I am keen to get into some blackies, I thought that i'd have a go at getting some green weed as I was doing nothing today. Here are my results. Got a bit of the stringy stuff, and the more leafy stuff. Get ready Roberta, I should be up in Forster again in 3-4 weeks time. This time, much more weed to tease those blcakies with!

post-3324-1215329214_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1215329255_thumb.jpg

glen thats a good mix of nice looking weed :thumbup:

i would also get some of the thicker cabbage style weed from a rock ledge to add more variety..

i use a 2 hook rig to cover 2 different depths and to vary the offerings :biggrin2: ..

not that you should need to worry about that in the next couple weeks they will be jumping onto anything in range in spawning mode...

cheers...steve....

glen thats a good mix of nice looking weed :thumbup:

i would also get some of the thicker cabbage style weed from a rock ledge to add more variety..

i use a 2 hook rig to cover 2 different depths and to vary the offerings :biggrin2: ..

not that you should need to worry about that in the next couple weeks they will be jumping onto anything in range in spawning mode...

cheers...steve....

Hi steve,

I also collected some cabbage style from Mona vale today. I'm just drying it out.Would you be able to supply a diagram of the rig you use and the 2 hook rig for blackies? I also noticed, that when I was in Forster last weekend, alot of people use a 2 hook rig and a float that is weighted, and they use a single heavier sinker rather than multiple split shots. I would be interested in your thoughts about this rig and what you use.

glen im sure you read the post me,Roberta and others done regarding blackfish.

the attachment has a diagram i did on float setup and lots of other useful things....

Blackfish_Basics_by_roosterman.doc

basically stopper/float/sinker/3 way swivel/15-20cm light trace 4lb-6lb/sinker/swivel/trace of 10-15cm then size 10 hook. trace on top hook about 5-10cm or so... very important to balance float with weight either sheet lead around bottom if floats too buoyant and keep weights on line with heaviest at bottom to help stop tangles when casting.. i like my floats as close to neutral buoyancy as conditions allow,usually if boat traffic creates odd waves my float may even stay slightly under for short periods...this takes some a littly while to get used to but if you study the behavior each day at first then anything different means a little fishy business going on.im used to this and if blackfish are finicky which can happen theres less drag on float so they suck bait right down..

as for when to strike it differs on the day but generally let them take it down a fair bit but vary on the day to what works....

the blackfish shortly will smash anything on offer as they will be moved down into the harbour areas and into feeding frenzies in spawning mode and its when its very easy to get them,

the skill comes into it later when they can at times turn there noses up to varieties of nice weed to find crud/wire weed or ribbon weed in guts of ones caught..just be careful of the black trevally/magic moments that are a bycatch in some places..

if theres any more i can help let me know,maybe in a few weeks you are welcome to tag along when i get out there into it again.im a bit busy next couple w/e and are struggling to squeeze a fish in..

hope this helps...steve....

hi glenn

weed and cabbage look good :biggrin2: wish i had some weed plenty of cabbage at mona vale but not much weeed on weighting floats try 75%lead on float and 25% above swivel before trace

use the 75 % 25% on either fixed or running floats

hope this helps

peter :1fishing1:

Id just about kill to get my hands on some weed like that, Ive been everywhere I can think of near Gladesville and nothing to report on the weed front yet, it looks alot like parra weed, the dark green stuff that is, well done on locating some, cheers Justin.

Id just about kill to get my hands on some weed like that, Ive been everywhere I can think of near Gladesville and nothing to report on the weed front yet, it looks alot like parra weed, the dark green stuff that is, well done on locating some, cheers Justin.

have sent u a pm!

Ooooh Glenn!! Nice looking weed!!! That should work a treat up here!! Pretty soon, as Roosterman says, the blackies will 'go off' with every cast a winner!!!!! Was at all our spots today with my buddy Kim & got 4 fish all up, Kim got one. Will do a post on it. :) All the ones I caught today were boys! No girls at all! :1yikes:

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Glenn

Make sure you bring some spare ..... for me!!! ...... I got into a few nice ones at 'our spot' when Kim was up here!! :) :)

I reckon the rising tide is the best for that spot now!! :) :)

Roberta