Life Jacket For Kids

TobyW

Raiders,

I'm in the market for a LJ for my 5Yo Girl.. She'll be wearing it at all times on board so need something as comfortable, and "kid friendy"as possible..(NOT TO MENTION BUOYANT!!!)

Anyone got any recomendations?

This is currently at the top of the list:

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-1057-burke...hild-pfd-1.aspx

Also, How long should it last at this age?

Cheers Toby

hi toby,

i think thats the one i have for my 5yr old,

i think from my research a whila ago the things that mattered were

* met aus standards

* was bouyant - pretty much a given...

* had a crotch strap - to stop kid sliding out of it

* had grab handle - for child retrieval, hopefully not needed

that one has all above...

cost was not a factor as if you said 10 bux to maybe save child or $1000 bux to be sure guess what id be shelling out.....

the most important thing is also to get them to try them on as they are the one you have to make wear it and if uncomfortable it could create issues... i got mine from a big store that had a very good range so there was a couple of different styles to choose...

i also ware mine at the same time to show them this is mandatory in boating and also if anything goes wrong we have a fighting chance to be alright and not end up like that poor bloke recently....

hope this helps...

cheers...steve....

Edited by roosterman

hi toby,

i think thats the one i have for my 5yr old,

i think from my research a whila ago the things that mattered were

* met aus standards

* was bouyant - pretty much a given...

* had a crotch strap - to stop kid sliding out of it

* had grab handle - for child retrieval, hopefully not needed

that one has all above...

cost was not a factor as if you said 10 bux to maybe save child or $1000 bux to be sure guess what id be shelling out.....

the most important thing is also to get them to try them on as they are the one you have to make wear it and if uncomfortable it could create issues... i got mine from a big store that had a very good range so there was a couple of different styles to choose...

i also ware mine at the same time to show them this is mandatory in boating and also if anything goes wrong we have a fighting chance to be alright and not end up like that poor bloke recently....

hope this helps...

cheers...steve....

Thanks Mate, Yep Agree with all of the above.

And your right, Money doesnt really come into the equation in this area..

Was going to take her shopping this weekend for one, If you know of any places that have a nice selection PM me, much appreciated

Cheers

All the above. Start telling her about it now. Tell her the only colour is yellow as my youngins liked every other colour but they are not PDF1's. After you have bought it go to a heated pool so she knows what to expect when she ends up in the water ( rinse the chlorine out). Take your own and you'll be surprised how poor the nasty ones are when in the water and if you do offshore work you will buy a better one guaranteed.. The standard is pretty slack and some companies have ones that are more comfortable and actually work loads better in real life.

How long do they last - physically it depends how they ae stored but several years these days no hassles. In reality she will outgrow it in 18 months or so but that depends on her size and weight and then you can use it as one for friends kids. Waterways will inspect kids jackets and any fading, tears is treated as suspect and they must have the standards label on them so go easy when rinsing them avoiding bleach and mould sprays.

We made the mistake of trying to save money and bought a slightly too big size and the kids were uncomfortable ( read irritable as hell) as they couldn't sit without jacket riding up the neck and they were physically bulky on them. We then got the right size and they grew into the other ones 12 months later.

Price isn't relative to quality or what works

What Rooster & Pelican said!

Little Slinky has been coming out with me on boats since she was about 3 and isn't phased at all by wearing a jacket. Just make sure you take your little girl with you when you buy it and try it on her. A good fit will make all the difference to her being happy and comfortable.

If you look around a bit you might be able to find some good PFD1's in 'pretty' colours (but note that the colours have to be 'safety' colours so you'll be able to see them easily in the water should the unthinkable happen and you end up swimming)

post-6175-1215733728_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks guys for your opinions..

She knows its like seatbelts in cars, and weve been discussing and looking at a few online for the last couple of weeks..

Hows this for Kids..:

I explained that they were mostly all yellow (not pink) and she then explained to me that if they had Pink and blue for girls and boys, it would be hard to see the boys (wearing blue) in blue water... so they made them all Yellow & red :thumbup: ... ah the simplicity of Logic in Kids....

Future Dads should bank that one i reckon..

Cheers

Just check the different applications, PFD1, PFD2 & PFD3.

For my children I purchased the type that when in the water the child floats on their back with the head out of the water. This is important if an injury is sustained when going overboard.

:1prop: Now Mariner you are not allowed to injure them when you throw them overboard!!! even when they are little sods. :1prop: They'll just get you back when they are older and 3 inches taller than you anyway or put you in th asylum early.

PDF1 are the only ones that will support the head and float them on their backs. Others might but PDF1 have to along with being a visable colour with reflective strips of a certain size. The standard is pretty average so it is well worth buying quality gear when if the worst happens it will be well appreciated. The old foam block ones are a disaster and are only designed to comply and I wouldn't want to be out overnight in one and the same goes for a lot of the inflatable ones which are just not abrashion resistant enough for my liking.

PS Ps - The comment about the crotch strap is important and make sure it is always done up.

reckon your best bet would be to go to bias or any other boating store and get her to try them on as the all should be ausie standards pdf1 ,if its comfortable there wont be any dramas on board regarding the wearing of it

cheers arman

i have that same pdf for my 4 year old

i took them down to the local pool and threw them in so they knew what would happen if they ended up in the water, hopefully this means they wont panic if it does happen

basically they just have to stay upright till help arrives