Jervis Bay

Was on holidays last week down the coast - staying at the usual haunt near Crookhaven heads - and hoping to duck away a few times for some fish.

However - the weather and the events were more or less agaisnt us. I couldn't russel up a fishing companion on the Monday (which was a great Day) - and Wed - Fri had 40k winds which kept us in doors (which was actually quite nice relaxing - despite the "if only").

But on Tuesday - we did manage to head out. The weather was good - and my fishing companians were available.

Initially, I had hoped to launch at Crookhaven Heads, and head out, checking out the gravel grounds for big snapper, then perhaps the Muds and Banks for Bonito, Snapper, and even some big kingies (still dreaming of the 1m+ winter king).

But since we were a tad unsure of the weather - we decided to do the more conservative approach, and hit JB.

Launching at Callala Bay at 6am, we were flying over the water towards the squid spot as it slowely got light - and what a beautiful day was given to us! Glorious!

Quite quickly, we picked up half a dozen squid, and headed to Longnose point - known for its snapper, and the occasional large Kingie. Anchored up around the bommie, laid a burly trail, dropped the baits, and put a live squid out. Within 30seconds, the squid was hit hard - line running like I had hooked a monster. I had. Sammy the Seal soon surfaced with a cheeky grin, and thanked me for a nice breakfast.

So - no live bait, and only small bait. Doesn't matter.

There was heaps of small fry around - mainly sweep. We began picking up small snapper - about 1 in 5 being legal size. After a few hours - we decided to head off - perhaps the monter kingies were round the corner.

We dropped an X-Rap lure and a large metal lug, and started trolling around Point Perpendicular. Pulled them out of the water until we hit crocodile head, put them back in, and trolled around to the drumsticks (so we avoided the no-fishing zone). There were fish about - but couldn't raise anything big (or at least anything willing to bite). As I normally head out crookhaven heads, I hadn't seen much of the west side of Beecroft Peninsular - a beautiful spot, known for big fish. Unfortuntely, either we didn't have the required knowledge of where and how - or we were just unlucky. Such is life. We did stop and drop some pilchards and fresh squid - but didn't pick up anything.

Slightly disappointed - we headed to middle ground. Lots and lots of baitfish - and sammy the seal was no where to be found. So bottom bashed, and dropped out a live slimie and yellow tail. Though there was plenty of bait around - once again, nothing big.

We then headed back to longnose point - and dropped in there. This time couldn't get any snapper, and left after 45minutes of little fry. Picked up a few squid on the way back (to keep the missus happy) and then went home.

A great day - and a few fish for the table. No photos - as nothing special.

Mike

pity that whole area will be closed to recreational fishing forever in a matter of years

the second marine park review is up, they could announce the news in a couple months.

the national park and wildlife wants to extend the current marine park sanctions to include basically the whole of beecroft peninsula, thats means from the inner tubes all the way to currarong beach.

i know i wont be voting greens ever again and you can just imagine how many LBG fishos are spewing!