Crabbing

siepan08

hi guys

Ive gone and bought some crab nets and im pretty keen to go try them. I live in parramatta and dont know any good spots for catching either mud crab or blue swimmers does anyone have any suggestions for spots??? also what is the best bait to use catch the crab.

I have posted some pics of when i went to fish at taronga Zoo Wharf. I had caught a fresh squid that night and had kept it for the morning. As the sun was comming up ive thrown a few lines out hoping for something nice but 1 hour went with a few bites here n there but nuthing to get excited about so i put a large piece of what was left of the squid on my line which had just a swivel n trace and thrown it out to pack my gear up. As i was packing the gear i saw the rod bending to a point where it was seconds from flipping into the water and as i have grabbed it and given it a nice yank back i could just feel the fish run. well after a good 15-20mins of fighting i pulled up a nice jewy and brought it back home. It was just over 90cm and between 4-6kgs. I had a 5 kilo line with a 30kg trace.

theres some pics below.

post-7523-1216049494_thumb.jpg

post-7523-1216049543_thumb.jpg

Edited by siepan08

There are some productive spots in the Hawkesbury for Muddies, Berowra, Spenser area.

If your ever a bit further up north, we have been getting a fair few muddies in Lake mac of late. There are alway heaps of blue swimmers thee but the mud crabs seem to be making a come back. A surprising catch was one well on its way to 2kg caught on a jerk bait a couple of weeks ago by a mate of mine on one of our night flicks for jew and bream

Mitch

Hi Nice jewie. Can you still fish at the Taronga zoo wharf?

Cheers LALA :thumbup:

Unfortunatly they have closed the the wharf due to the lack of care from some people. Everytime i would go people would leave bags of rubbish on the grounds or even worse throw there stuff in the water so eventually they got sick of allways having to clean the place up and shut it off. It can still be accesed by boat its just around the bend from clifton gardens. I think that it was one of the best land base fishing spots i have ever gone to. while fishing there over a year I saw 1 metre kingies, My Jew fish, huge leather jackets, Lots of yellow tail and tailor, slimey mackrel, squid, blue swimmer, 70cm+ flatheads big bream, octopus , eel and probably a few other types I never saw.

The day I pulled out my jew fish there was about 4-5 kingies Easy over 1 metre tailing it to the surface so there some monsters down in those waters.

Unfortunatly they have closed the the wharf due to the lack of care from some people. Everytime i would go people would leave bags of rubbish on the grounds or even worse throw there stuff in the water so eventually they got sick of allways having to clean the place up and shut it off. It can still be accesed by boat its just around the bend from clifton gardens. I think that it was one of the best land base fishing spots i have ever gone to. while fishing there over a year I saw 1 metre kingies, My Jew fish, huge leather jackets, Lots of yellow tail and tailor, slimey mackrel, squid, blue swimmer, 70cm+ flatheads big bream, octopus , eel and probably a few other types I never saw.

The day I pulled out my jew fish there was about 4-5 kingies Easy over 1 metre tailing it to the surface so there some monsters down in those waters.

Hi siepan08 I used to go down to Taronga Park ferry wharf now and then. I always pulled the rods in for the ferry driver and was left alone until one Saturday afternoon when the ferry wharf became too crowded to fish, with people coming out of the zoo at all once and a young ambitious career :D conductor went off his brain to all and sundry about fishing there although there was no sign on the wharf and nobody fishing at the time.

I drove the car back up to the gate where the road goes down Bradley's Head, drove down to the car park at the bottom and had to give way to a whole wedding photography session followed by a reception, and had to wait till dark because guests had decided to sit on the concrete platform where I fish and kept feeding me up with marinated chicken and kept on hitting me with some toxic licorice drink that hits you hard an hour later.

Anyway they left and I started fishing a little unbalanced, then a huge southerly blew up around 1.30 am. I packed up and drove up to find the gate locked and a phone number to ring that didn't answer. Luckily there was a light on at the restaurant just insid the gate and the last of the staff opened the gate for me, or I would have had to phone some after hours bloke on a 1300 number that charges big money to open the gate. It was either that or I spend the rest of the night by myself in the car with the doors locked. It was so windy and eery that night that all I could think of was escaping lions and tigers. :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: