Outside From Roseville Tues. Morning

saltrix

post-3961-1216102618_thumb.jpg

Went out on my own this morning, tried trolling Dobroyd point and North Head but no hits. The water is very clear and not much wash.

Went out to DY wide and bottom bashed for 1 Red Gurnard, 1 Sharped Beak Gurnard, both were a good size and produced thick white fillets.

Then 4 Eastern Bluespot flathead and 1 Marbled flathead. The biggest was 57cm and the smallest 38cm.

Also got a nice Trevally when I got too close to the reef. It would probably be worth anchoring on the edge of the reef and berleying and fishing floaters down the berley trail but the flathead seem pretty consistent so I never get around to it.

Can't complain about that lot.

Great feed for the family, well done.

What bait and line did you get them on?

How would you cook the trevally, or are you going to smoke it?

I usually fish a paternoster rig with a prawn on one hook and a pilchard on nylon ganged hooks on the other. I use a 30lb braid as I fish in 55m and the braid means you dont need a big sinker. I use a sea anchor to slow the drift if the westerly is a bit fresh.

Live bait also works well. The bigger the bait the bigger the flathead. For the next month the flathead will be on at this location, but the bait must be well presented. A small spikey flathead fillet makes a good bait for the bigger fish, check the species and size limit. There is no legal size for some species.

Trevally are quite nice boned and skinned when floured and fried in a bit of peanut oil, but dont overcook it.

post-3961-1216102618_thumb.jpg

Went out on my own this morning, tried trolling Dobroyd point and North Head but no hits. The water is very clear and not much wash.

Went out to DY wide and bottom bashed for 1 Red Gurnard, 1 Sharped Beak Gurnard, both were a good size and produced thick white fillets.

Then 4 Eastern Bluespot flathead and 1 Marbled flathead. The biggest was 57cm and the smallest 38cm.

Also got a nice Trevally when I got too close to the reef. It would probably be worth anchoring on the edge of the reef and berleying and fishing floaters down the berley trail but the flathead seem pretty consistent so I never get around to it.

Great work there Saltrix,

You managed to land yourself a good feed.

Twin 1

Marcel