Where To Position Downrigger?

LUKEC

Hi All

Can anyone give any advice on the best location to fit a downrigger?

On the port or starboard or rear of the boat.....

I am fitting it to a Cruisecraft Explorer 6m. If i fit it to the side of the boat i will need to add a plate to accomodate the size of the base.

(I do have the 360 Degree rotating base and it is a Scotty 1085 Strongarm)

Also what sort of backing have you used in the side of the boat to reinforce?.... i would expect that this is required.

If anyone can post some photo's it would be great.

Thanks

Luke

PS. I have had this downrigger since Dec 07 and have hardly fished so have yet to fit it. Keen to get it on though

Hi All

Can anyone give any advice on the best location to fit a downrigger?

On the port or starboard or rear of the boat.....

I am fitting it to a Cruisecraft Explorer 6m. If i fit it to the side of the boat i will need to add a plate to accomodate the size of the base.

(I do have the 360 Degree rotating base and it is a Scotty 1085 Strongarm)

Also what sort of backing have you used in the side of the boat to reinforce?.... i would expect that this is required.

If anyone can post some photo's it would be great.

Thanks

Luke

PS. I have had this downrigger since Dec 07 and have hardly fished so have yet to fit it. Keen to get it on though

Here's mine

Hope this helps

Hi Luke,

I'm in the same boat with you on this :D E.g. I have the downrigger that I didn't have chance to use a lot. It is on the side of the boat because the standard Quintrex transom has this kind of "pod" behind so if I have the downrigger at the back I'll be dropping the bomb on this pod. I ended up mounting it on the side rail (I didn't want to put something permanent because I might sell this boat and for the reason above can;t use gimble mount - the arm will be looking back), but when I was exploring the mounting options with the dealer he demonstrated to me a piece of plastic (material similar to the one used for kitchen cutting boards) cut to the shape to go beneath the gunwale.

I also eneded up with it on the starboard side (the right side, is it?) so I can see the sounder screen while working woth the downrigger.

2275632314_b7f84e6535.jpg

HTH

Mariner, may I ask you - and anybody else here - what's the best position for the road holder of the trolling rod (for the downrigger with the arm pointing to the side of the boat) - straight on the arm, before the downrigger (looking from the back of the boat) or after? On th epictire above it is after.

Thanks

Edited by Kruzenvax

Thanks all for your pointers.

Like Kruzenvax i am also interested in the position of the rod in relation to the Downrigger.

Surely there is some more people that can offer comment?......

Can anyone comment on any issues that have had when installing on the side or rear of the boat?

(any issue with proximity of cable to engine etc)

Anyone else got any photo's?

Cheers

Luke

mate i run mine there because its tiller steer and 2 big blokes on the back tinnie is ot real stable

so i run it on the side

next summer ill have another on the other side so that i can run 2 at the same time

cheers

miller

Thanks Miller,

So your rods are ahead of the downrigger... that helps.

When you troll - with your mate - do you have someone all the time driving the boat and someone working on 2 rods and riggers (when you have 2)?

Cheers

mate i run mine there because its tiller steer and 2 big blokes on the back tinnie is ot real stable

so i run it on the side

next summer ill have another on the other side so that i can run 2 at the same time

cheers

miller

Thanks Miller,

So your rods are ahead of the downrigger... that helps.

When you troll - with your mate - do you have someone all the time driving the boat and someone working on 2 rods and riggers (when you have 2)?

Cheers

i can let go of my engine and its stays straight

so one bloke will set the riggers up while the other drives

and in the event of a double hook up on my boat it will just idle forward by its self

and we can fit one fish each

well thats what were hoping

cheers

miller

Thanks

i can let go of my engine and its stays straight

so one bloke will set the riggers up while the other drives

and in the event of a double hook up on my boat it will just idle forward by its self

and we can fit one fish each

well thats what were hoping

cheers

miller