No Jews But Nice Flounder

no idea

decided to try for a jew yesterday arvo. got down to a spot a mate put me on to at about 2 tryed burlying up for yakkas with no luck so put out a small bait to see if anything came along whilst trying for squid, pretty soon my small rod went off and i pulled up a 25cm painted lizard fish and thought what the hell ill give it a go and chucked him out live. pulled in another 2 and then as i was reeling in another one the livey gets slammed(i nearly dropped my bream rod in the water) i grabbed my rod and what ever it was spat the bait after stripping 20 or 30 metres of 15lbs line off my bait runner. i pulled up the bait and it had been smashed so i put a fresh one out and went back to catching bait and after a few more i felt something heavier on the line and landed a 30cm flounder. about an hour later and many under sized snapper and lizard fish my big rod went off again this time i didnt waste anytime setting the hook but it didnt slow down and went under the bridge and rubbed me off on a pilon.

this is about when i decided to call it a day and headed home.

flounder

post-7778-1216255435_thumb.jpg

painted lizardfish

post-7778-1216255511_thumb.jpg

Edited by no idea

ive caught a few of those painted grinners down in pittwater targeting kingfish with downriggers.... they eat the yakka but the line doesnt even get snapped out of the clip, I once ended up trolling a 60cm grinner for half the day haha

trying to post a pic of him but it wont reduce in size :wacko:

Jack

I think the lizard fish is called a Grinner.

I think no idea has some idea when it comes to fish I.D. :biggrin2:

The Painted Lizardfish has blue and yellow stripes or dashes along the sides of the body and a dark, oblique mark above the operculum.

It has a very short snout and an oblique mouth with numerous fine, sharp teeth. There is a short-based first dorsal fin, followed by a small adipose dorsal fin and a deeply forked caudal fin.

The species grows to about 30 cm in length.

The Painted Lizardfish lives in shallow estuaries down to deep offshore waters in excess of 200 m. It is rarely seen because it often buries itself in the bottom sediment with only its eyes exposed.

The species has been recorded from tropical and subtropical waters around the northern coastline of Australia from north-western Western Australia to southern New South Wales.

A Painted Lizardfish caught on hook and line by B. Mollard at Quakers Hat Bay, The Spit, Sydney, New South Wales, September 2001.

A Painted Lizardfish in Sydney Harbour, New South Wales.

na i was fishing middle harbour, yer ive never used lizardfish for bait before but that all i could get so i used them and they did get taken.

its the second flounder ive caught as a by catch lately, i bet if i start trying to target them i will never see another one again.

........I think no idea has some idea when it comes to fish I.D. :biggrin2:

That's ok Mariner31, the grinners in Queensland are so aggressive that they've got no idea they're being used for bait.

Cheers

jewgaffer