Browns Mountain 16/7

AdamK

Fished Browns early yesterday. Baits down at 5:15am and first up was a double hook up on a blue eye and gemfish.

post-26-1216278031_thumb.jpg

Fishing was very good. Temp held at 19.5 all day.

By 11am we had our bag limit of Gemfish, 3 Blue Eye & 1 Ribbon fish, a first for us all.

post-26-1216278191_thumb.jpg

Hung around Browns for tuna nothing so trolled further east looking for a break in temperature. No change at all so came back to Browns on the troll and dropped a small tuna, cubed for another hour again but nil. Just before we leave had a hit on the cube but dropped again.

Back at the ramp close to 7. Great day out but no YFT landed

Cheers

Adam

shame the tuna were not around for you mate, they have been sparse of late with some big fish in between alot of water.

great work on the bottom dwellers though great tucker those gemmies.

well done.

Hey mate, we were out at browns on wednesday too, in the 6.5m sea legend. Saw you guys bottom bashing on the mountain, well done on some grat fish you managed. We are new to browns and are still sorting out some bottom bashing gear.

We went out for tuna and managed nothing. Headed east for no temp break (as supported by the SST charts) and returned to the browns vicinity which had slightly warmer water. We had 6 runs during the day but no hookups. 4 runs consisted of a short run which left part of the pillie with tht hook in it. I then tried to hit earlier instead of allowing for much of a run. Nothing, Ross got hit immediately after me and decided to let the fish run. After about 2 seconds it stopped and again the hook and head of the pillie were left. Either the tuna are smartening up or they were some large baitfish like big slimies or something (i'm hoping the latter). Also saw a large shark in the trail.

Good bottom catch again and unlucky on the tuna front.

Adam...

Did you come across any makos at all???? we were a long way from the mountain yesterday and got a nice

feed in the bargain to boot but got pestered by mako shark's that took a liking to any easy meal on offer on its way up we also sighted one

lone sizeable y/fin that was rounding up some bait on the surface early on and am glad to hear that you got a frostfish as we observed what we thought were schools of frostfish on the sounder sitting at around the 200mtr mark but wern't quite sure

but see it as no co-incidence in with the amount of mako's sniffing around..

Cheers Warnie...

Top bag of bottom fish boys & good size fish too.

Great feed there,Well done!!

Steve

Well done Adam,

Got some nice fish there and great to here the water temperature is 19.5 degrees. Hope it gets warmer still and brings back those fin in numbers. I was out there on tuesday with too other raiders Jim77 and shaun d and the water temperature was 18 degrees, we saw no fin but got bitten off by 5 mako's :1badmood:

Cheers Mike

thanks guys,

it sure was a top day on the bottom dwellers.

fishmaniac

mate, I must admit the 2nd tuna i dropped was from my stupidity. After feeding about 100mtrs of line I left the reel in free spool so you can imagine the rest. fishin browns is all new to me as well but It is pretty exciting

Warnie,

mate dont know if there were makos as we didnt sight any but we did lose several fish in mid water level. However, we did have a huge seal also take our fish as well

Mike

the water temp was hovering around the 19.5 mark from browns to at least 7kms east. We trolled back from Browns to 12 mile and again didnt sea much of a break in the temp either

cheers

Adam

I think your right, it is a frost fish.

I called it for a hairtail but didnt think they came out from those waters.

Adam

Sorry adam for the confusion with them being one of the same... as described below

Scientific Name Lepidopus caudatus

Location VIC, TAS, NSW, SA

Season Summer

Size Up to 2 metres

Australian Species Code 37 440002

Taste, Texture -

Information about Ribbonfish / Frostfish (Lepidopus caudatus):

Also known as Frost Fish and Southern Frostfish

Identifying:

sides uniform silvery, skin smooth, dorsal fin extremely long, not divided into 2 parts and lacking finlets; 1 long lateral line; pelvic fins minute or absent; caudal fin comparatively small; body extremely long, and very compressed; head small with long fang-like teeth in upper jaw.

Ribbon fish are found in temperate waters from New South Wales to Western Australia at depths of 300-600 metres on the continental slope. They are also found throughout the north-west Atlantic, Mediterranean, southern Indian and Pacific oceans.

Ribbonfish off New South Wales spawn in winter at depths of 300-500 metres. They attain a maximum length in excess of 2 metres and weight of 3-4 kg.

and a pic of the browns area in 3D mapping for your interest......

post-4679-1216434560_thumb.jpg

Cheers Warnie

Edited by ungry warnie