Lake Macquarie Flatties

Steve Mc

My family and I just spent a week fishing Lake Macquarie. We went with the intention of fishing for tailor and bream but on the first day I saw a bloke at the boat ramp with some great flatties and a metre long jew. That had me changing plans. Over the next few beautiful days we caught a stack of flatties including four between the sizes of 73.5cm to 80cm (all four released of course).

My youngest (and keenest) caught and released 74.5cm, 74cm and an equal PB for him at 80cm. (He caught an 80cm model last year at Hawks Nest). My eldest (doesn't mind fishing but not real keen) caught and released a 73.5cm fish which was a PB for him by a long way.

The biggest I could manage was 63cm while my wifes biggest and new PB was 67cm.

We had the most amazing week and I am still on a high from it.

All fish were caught on pink or gold 100mm squidgies on half ounce jigheads using 6lb Fireline and 20lb fluorocarbon leaders. Amazingly with all the head thrashing that went on over the few days we didn't lose one fish.

post-2756-1216513022_thumb.jpg post-2756-1216513078_thumb.jpg post-2756-1216513118_thumb.jpg

post-2756-1216513154_thumb.jpg post-2756-1216513189_thumb.jpg

post-2756-1216513218_thumb.jpg post-2756-1216513255_thumb.jpg

Hi Tumra, thanks for sharing your flatties with us, there are are some beaut lizards there, good to see the young ones out there too enjoying the fishing.. Good report and great pics (very jealous)... Cheers...

AAHHH YES,

Gods country. Looks like you guys were blessed with calm waters, what part of the lake were you in when you took the pics ?

Fantastic results, and good to see you all out and about.

Great post & pics.

AAHHH YES,

Gods country. Looks like you guys were blessed with calm waters, what part of the lake were you in when you took the pics ?

Fantastic results, and good to see you all out and about.

Great post & pics.

G'day Hobbitt.

Chain Valley Bay.

An all round top family effort.....well done....my little bloke is in awe of your youngest fella's efforts....he wants to know when I'm taking him to a Lake Macquarie...

G'day Poddy Trapper.

Mate I hope your young bloke manages to get one soon because the proud look on their face when it happens is fantastic to see. It sure helps promote the love of fishing.

The fish Scott gets are hard earned. He throws out as many casts in a day as the rest of us.

Steve

Thats a very nice post by you Steve and the family look like they are really enjoying themselves.

Fabulous pictures and some top fish to boot.

Cheers Stewy.

Nice to see the younger folk with life jackets on as well :thumbup:

Fantastic fish

Fantastic family

Fantastic conditions

Fantastic apparell

Fantastic result.

3 cheers, or should I say 5 cheers. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Well done and great to see that the entire family got amongst some fab fish. Pity no Jewie :tease: