Just Sit Right Back An Ill Tell U A Tale.

phild

A tale of a faitfull trip, went out on Sunday with two mates and started a lesurily troll about 300m of bluefish. The fishing was excellent in a couple of hours we had relased 10 rats including double hookups, then went to the secret honey hole and got some ripper tailor and more kings. I was really excited for my two mates as it was their first time on the high seas and to put them onto some great fish gave me a lot of satisfaction. Every thing was going great and we stopped to release

another double hook of kings, then I noticed a trickle of water comming in the stern. :hitsfan: This is were the shit starts to hit the fan, thinking ive been a spoon and left the bung out I dive over and check the transom while I direct andy to hit the bilge. Every thing looks hunky dory so I jumped back in, but by this time the trickle has turned into a torrent :1yikes::1yikes: : Within fifteen seconds the boats well and truley in trouble and i tell the boys to jump ship five seconds later she's under. I re surface and despretley look around for the boys, then Andy resurfaces as white as a ghost except for a horrific gash from eyebrow to hairline and one just as bad on the shin where he has had to rip a fish hook 7/0 out of his leg. Wheres Nash? Shit still in the cabin as the boat dips beneth the briny :1yikes: : Totally freaking out for the safety of Nash I peer into the water looking as the boat slips under then suddenly see nash burst through the cabin door and surface. Nash is Indian descent but when he hit the surface he was whiter than Michael Jackson. With Nash in shock and throwing up constantly and Andy in a very bad way with nasty cuts our situation was grim. Suddenly the lord played the crulest trick of all when the dunny floated back up to the surface we all had a good laugh and the jokes about shitting ourselves and who was going to use the toilet for a flotation device came thick and fast. :risata::risata: THe shitter couldnt have come up at a better time as it helped calm all of our nerves. We then began Floating along thinking what the ---- are we going to do when our saviour arrived. A guy with his mate and son spotted us and pulled us all on board, thank christ we all made it I thought. As a foot note guys, the bloke who saved us had earlier crossed our trolling lines tangiling the lot, although mildly irratated I kept calm and didnt throw any crap their way, later they helped save me and my mates lives and if they read these post I thank them from the bottom of my heart. Just goes to show that being calm and nice to a stranger, even when you might have cause to get the shits can pay divedends. :thumbup: Ive lost evrything and im feeling pretty glum wallet, phone, every bit of tackle I own, rods, reels, my beloved boat sally that id just spent four years of blood, sweat and tears into restoring :1badmood::1badmood: : . But, most importantly ive still got too great mates and I didnt have to go home and tell their wives that they wernt with me. :risata::risata: Guys let me tell you unless youve been through what ive just been through you wouldnt belive how quick a boat can sink. I dont know what caused it and it was over that quick that I didnt get to use life jackets, make a radio call, use my epirb, nothing. Every body when the shit hits the fan you better have your saftey drill down pat beacuse about 30 seconds is all the time youll get to try and save a life or two. Please guys for me go out this week and just run through a drill of what you would do in an emergancey, my tip is before you think about saving your boat get your saftey gear and people on board sorted out first. :05: :

Unbeliveable!!!!!!

It may hurt a little that the boat is gone but it can be replaced. Mates are here for a life time and even though they can be a pain in the arse at times they are impossible to replace.

Glad everyone was ok in the end :thumbup: . You will have a great story to tell the kids / grand kids.

I have never thought of a safety drill but I will be running through one with my deckie on Saturday

Welcome phild,

That is certainly a attention grabbing first post! Glad to see everyone OK, and it is certainly good advice. I try to ensure that lifejackets are handy when outside, but I must admit I have them stowed whenever I am inside.

Did the EPIRB go off? I understood that they are meant to go off when they get immersed? As I only venture a couple of K's offshore, I haven't invested in one yet, but is is certainly on the plan.

Ken

Edited by cajun

Thanks guys, let me tell you in the time you have its not easy at all. I never expected the boat to go so unexpectanly or quickly. I geusse I thought it would maybe capsize or dunk the motor in and bob around like a weighted bobby cork for a few hours, but she just went. Im not sure if the becon went off or not the guys who picked us up called triple 000 and a few minutes later the chopper flew over head, but your right, they may have been responding to the epirb. I recon youd be mad to venture off the heads with out one. Ive been out to browns a couple of times in the same boat and a chill goes through me when I think about it happening out there

Edited by phild

Guest bluecod

Phild,

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you're lucky to be posting after a very nasty incident. Glad to hear that you all got out more or less intact.

I couldn't agree more with having safety gear in easily accessible places, as has already been said, material things can be replaced.

Speaking of which, are you going to attempt a salvage even if only to find out what went wrong?

Not sure bluecod, I have loddged a claim and because ive only been insured since November they want to investigate, that kinda hurts a bit but hay what can I do Id much rather have my boat back. The assesor reacons he wants to send salvage divers down, personally I think its probably a bit of a lost cause, a lot of money for little return but thats their choice, Ill be cooperating fully. I also have mates that are salvage divers who are willing to give it a go, my concern is getting a boat back that sank the way it did let alone being emersed in salt water for a week

Edited by phild

Yeah thanks Allen lucky there made of plastic these days eh. The good ol Girl was a Carrabiean Baron, she had been a labour of love for me for the last four years after finding her in a lot at mona vale. I had replaced all the timber teak and varnished it a thousand times, spray painted it so it was crisp and new, re done all the electrics including new lights and gauges, accesriesd every thing that could be thats why it hurts that the insurance companys quistioned my integrity. I loved my ship and got a lot of pride out of the hard work id invested in it. I know they have procedures they need to follow but some of the comments from the assesor have borded on down right rude.

GIO ken, what makes my problem worse is the fact that 3 weeks ago I had my car broken into and all my tackle stolen I logged a claim for this, which to GIO's credit was paid promptly I had just replaced most of the gear when the ship went down. I havent had a good run latley I wont bore you with all my worries but prior to that my father in law died and we lost a baby I geusse some people have all the luck eh. I know it sounds unbeliveable but Im not kidding.

The report of the year goes to..................

Thanks for the report Phil, glad your ok. A good realty check for all boaties. She may have had some unseen rot in the transom mate. They tend to crack down low and fall apart quick.

Good to see the quick response of the chopper. :thumbup:

Geez your next post is going to be a bit of an anti climax :1prop:

not good mate.

my sincerest condolences for everything that has happened.

its really amazing how things can happen.

not in a good way

im sure when you feel up to it. that you will definetly get some offers from people from this site to take you out on the water again.

it makes u think really how safe are we out there?

I havent had a good run latley I wont bore you with all my worries but prior to that my father in law died and we lost a baby I geusse some people have all the luck eh. I know it sounds unbeliveable but Im not kidding.

30290[/snapback]

Condolences Phil, sorry to hear that.

Cheer yourself up by spending time hear mate, read some of my stupid posts and dumb questions, that will make anyone laugh.

Jeez Phil, wlecome, and what a drama. Feel for you!

You are dead right (so to speak) about safety procedures on small boats.

I'll add two things:

1. ALWAYS make sure someone else on the boat knows how to bloody operate it. Once long ago I was fiddling with something or other and asked one of the three people I had aboard to start the motor and take the helm to potter away from rocks we were drifting towards. Very soon realised all three had no idea how to start an outboard and put it in gear! Would have been a problem if I'd fallen overboard. Now it's part of my drill that when newcomers to a boat come on board for the first time they all get a quick drill on starting and handling the boat, as well as the 27meg. Takes two minutes and might save the SKIPPERS life.

2. ALWAYS have your lifejackets placed within sight in the boat. We've all been guilty of tucking em away somewhere so they don't get in the way. As Phil's experience shows there's precious litle time to get em in an amergency.

Hope your drama ends well digger. Bombie

Cheer yourself up by spending time hear mate, read some of my stupid posts and dumb questions, that will make anyone laugh.

30293[/snapback]

Hey Grantm I take pride in asking dumb questions!

30297[/snapback]

he he, yeah me too :biggrin2:

not good mate.

my sincerest condolences for everything that has happened.

its really amazing how things can happen.

not in a good way

30292[/snapback]

from me too Phil.

I am also insured with GIO, but no claims - touch wood.

Cheers

Ken

Mate...That has to be one of the most dramatic entrances to a forum I have ever seen! :thumbup: Welcome to Fishraider.

Glad everything has worked out as far as safety goes, and its a shame you lost all your gear and your good ship. But this point on you must look on the bright side! :thumbup: If the boat isnt salvaged, we have a new FAD in Sydney harbour! :risata::risata:

On a serious note, everyone that comes aboard my boat is told exactly where the PFD's are kept. They may be out of sight, but I think they are accessible. They live in a hatch on their own with nothing to impede them. And I always as the question on how to operate the boat in case of emergencies as Bombie has pointed out. If they don't know, I give them a basic run down. :thumbup:

As far as getting out on the water again....Watch this space. Fishraiders are always putting out calls for deckies. :thumbup:

Thanks guys for your thoughts, its very funny how fishos think. After the wash up and when Id gotton over the shock thta was exactly what I thought to i.e. I have to remember this spot so I came return triumphant, sound out sally and have my own little snapper fad, all to myself that way sally will give back for years to come. Jocool I thought mine were too, I stored them in exactly the way you describe but like I said earlier 15 seconds worry about the water comming in 5 seconds to worry about the blokes 10 seconds to get off, sunk. When i get a little more organised Ill post some pics of her and also keep you all up to date about the insurance. Thanks for all the feedback and the offers I know with a bit of luck ill be in sally 2 back amongst it

Welcome Phil. ditto on what everyone above has said. Glad to hear you and your friends got out ok, its a great lesson for all of us. As for the silly questions, I reckon Iv'e asked a few classics, but thats what we're here for, to live and learn about something we are passionate about, fishing and boating. cheers

I hope things start going your way phil. I was on my mates 38 foot catamaran, going to watch the sydney to hobart when we hit something and started to sink, we let the epirb of and minutes later the plane was over head, we managed to beach it at bilgola beach 2 years ago, good perv fixing it but a bit of a worry bringing it into the beach.

Thats it, Im put my boat in to get the back transom rot repaired. I was putting it off until summer but after reading this I'm not taking any chances.

Does anyone know how long a transom replacement takes????? and a guesstimation of cost????? I have an old 4.7 mtr Cruise Craft Runabout. :hitsfan::hitsfan::hitsfan:

Phil, I'm sorry to hear about the tough time your going through.

For the boat to go from a trickle of water to sinking in 30 seconds, there is some catastrophic failure somewhere that has occurred. I hope the insurance company will come good for you and all that is lost you get back bigger, better and brighter.

Mate, it saddens me to hear of the other stuff that’s recently occurred in your life and my heart goes out to you. I’m sure many others here feel the same. Please accept my sincere condolences.

I hope from here on in, only good things go your way.

Cheers

Martin