Sorry

winfield

hi fish raiders i need your help with my baitcaster,cant seem to get any distance with it on a light jigg head. anything below a 1/5 oz just keeps on falling at my feet with a mutha of a birds nest ......ok i have been reading up on this site and going to the links that people have been putting up here but nothing said about casting weight ....is there a limit on how light you can cast with a baitcaster ....because i would love to smash some bream with it ....

my outfit specs rod....1.68m (5'6) action light

reel....daiwa megaforce

line....3lb

thank you very much for helping me

hi fish raiders i need your help with my baitcaster,cant seem to get any distance with it on a light jigg head. anything below a 1/5 oz just keeps on falling at my feet with a mutha of a birds nest ......ok i have been reading up on this site and going to the links that people have been putting up here but nothing said about casting weight ....is there a limit on how light you can cast with a baitcaster ....because i would love to smash some bream with it ....

my outfit specs rod....1.68m (5'6) action light

reel....daiwa megaforce

line....3lb

thank you very much for helping me

1 ounce = 28.349523125 grams

Therefore 1/5 oz = 5.6 grams.

When was the reel last serviced?

Try a heavier weight in your backyard - then down size gradually.

It sounds like you could just possibly need some more practice.

Adjust your free spool to a little bit tighter to stop the birds nests, keep your thumb pressure a little bit firmer then have a practice with some much heavier weights. They don't have to be lures.

Confidence plays a major part - practice makes perfect.

Don't give up - baitcasters, or should I say casting with baitcasters, when perfected is a very enjoyable style of fishing.

Good luck.

thanks my reel is brand new the line is braided,understanding the line is easier to untangle when using mono...it just seems as tho the whip action of the rod while im casting sends the weight or lack thier of st8 to the ground and not outward .......hmmm think i might have solved this one myself ??????could it be to much flick ,not enough follow through sound right ???? anyone

OK here is a more detailed explanation .. reading my first post .. it wasn't really helpful. SO ...

* Make sure your settings are correct - magnetic / centrifugal brakes and cast control brakes

* Play around with the jig weights. This might sound silly, but I found with B/C's using too heavy a weight also causes it to not cast properly ... In other words, make sure the combo feel balanced .. rod reel and lure

* Spool up ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP less 3-4 mms

* Your casting arc should only go from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position .. so like this .. \ to / .. I've noticed that I that swinging your rod outside that perimeter can cause problems when I was a beginner

*B/C MUST SIT ON IT's SIDE not straight up when u cast

* Important to NOT GO FOR DISTANCE. This stuffed me up big time. Put a buicket 5-6 metres in front of you and slowly work your way up to bigger distances. Just remember, B/C is made for accuracy, not distance .. but after a while, you will get the distance

Good links

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/baittech.htm