Electric Motor Battery Charger

Brocky0984

Hi Raiders

I recently purchased a REMCO 12V 70AH 20HR battery for my new electric trolling motor. I purchased it from a fellow raider but unfortunately it didnt come with any instructions. There is a catelogue on the internet but it reads like chinese unfortunately and I just cant work out what kind of charger I needed to buy to be able to charge the battery properly. I have heard that its not just a simple ***** charger that I need. The battery is new so if anyone out there can help on this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

G'day Brocky

I don’t think it is all that difficult. You will need a charger with enough punch to lift the charge if your battery has been run down low, and one with a Trickle function that will cut out when the battery is up to charge.

So you need a fully automatic charger. One of the biggest killers of batteries is over charging. When you constantly over charge deep cycle batteries this causes a build up of calcium on the plates, thus reducing the effectiveness of the battery; once the calcium from one plate bridges with that of another plate good bye cell and good bye battery hence the importance of a fully automatic charger. (I learnt this the hard way :( )

It is also a good idea to give the battery a good run every now and then and run it down before giving it a good charging.

I am sure there is an Auto Elec or two on this site that could assist further.

Squizy

If its a lead acid battery then I think a simple low cost charger will be fine. Anything up to 7 amp output is OK for that battery. Just make sure it has a automatic cutoff so its not overcharged.

Im not 100% if the battery you have is a deep cycle or not, but if it isnt dont let it get more than about half flat before you recharge it because it wont have a long life if you do. Deep cycle batteries can handle being discharged all the way but not normal batteries.

You will need a deep cycle battery, Car batteries dont handle being sent flat and then recharged.

Purchase a good battery charger so you get a full charge into the battery as some battery charges wont fully charge the battery.

I have attached a couple of websites of manufacturers so you can get some information and work out what you need. Neither of these companies sell retail as it would be wrong of me to suggest a supplier as the site sponsors like Huey will have what you need.

http://www.projecta.com.au/

http://www.ctek.com.au/CA2571B7001714EB/pa...argers~&3=~

Regards

David

Hi Brocky, just like the prevoius post about battery chargers the Minn Kota have worked well for us and I have seen a few boats with the ctek one and they look good also.

I am not familiar with your brand of battery but it should be a marine deep cycle ideally and 70AH is not that big so any M/K charger would do and they have portable or on board 3 stage chargers.

PM me if you would like the Raider price on the M/K ones,

Cheers,

Huey.