Car Gone In At Botany Bay...

Apparently, a car towing a boat has gone in the water at Kyeemagh boat ramp, botany bay. (First reported at 1:30pm Friday).

One person got out, and according to the report one person didn't.

Current SMH article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/trappe...6492707189.html

Has anyone heard any more news?

Mike

Article was updated whilst I was posting.

After 20 minutes searching, Police pulled the second guy from the car, and is performing CPR.

From the (updated) article:

Police divers have performed a dramatic rescue after a person was trapped under water when a car towing a boat trailer plunged into the Cook's River near Sydney Airport's air traffic control tower.

Emergency services searched for the driver for 20 minutes and then shortly before 2pm the driver was pulled unconscious onto water police boat.

SMH watched as the police boat then sped away with a police diver performing CPR on the unconscious person.

Were they launching the boat? - at Kyeemagh boat ramp, botany bay.

or

Was it an accident with the vehicle going off the road into the river? - plunged into the Cook's River near Sydney Airport's air traffic control tower.

Hope all is well for the victims.

Edited by Mariner 31

Another update, available from SMH and LiveNews.

A ute, which was travelling north on General Holmes Drive towing a boat trailer, careened down an incline and plunged into the Cook's River, near a boat ramp at Kyeemagh.

The driver was trapped in the car, and struggled to get out as the car sank. Another man stripped off and tried to help, but missed getting to the car by seconds. As soon as the car sank it disappeared under the murky water.

Police and Ambulance drivers got the man out 20 minutes later, and took him to St George hospital but died.

A tragedy.

Mike

Sad to hear I'm sure all the TV news will run a story. Picture I saw showed no boat just a trailer.

I've got to ask about the police helicopter sonar???? Is that for real. Helicopter with sonar? One that can see through air into water and get a refletion and reading. Surely they mean temp sensor unit of something else?

Edited by pelican

My thoughts go out to all the family and friends.

I myself have never launched a boat, but after having heard so many stories where a vehicle and the boat have ended up in the drink for one reason or another, One thing i will be making sure of is my windows down and seatbelt off...

Cheers arron

Sad to hear I'm sure all the TV news will run a story. Picture I saw showe no boat justa trailer.

I've got to ask about the police helicopter sonar???? Is that for real. Helicopter with sonar? One that can see through air into water and get a refletion and reading. Surely they mean temp sensor unit of something else?

Just caught the end of it on the news app the airbag went off in the ute and trapped the man in the car. he was retrieved from the vehicle but had been in the water for 30mins. He was taken to St George hospital but was prenounced dead.

I myself have never launched a boat, but after having heard so many stories where a vehicle and the boat have ended up in the drink for one reason or another, One thing i will be making sure of is my windows down and seatbelt off...

Current reports say the guy was not launching a boat, but driving along an overpass, crossed three lanes of traffic, and came off.

But you're right - when launching a boat always make sure windows are down, seatbelt off, and NO KIDS in the car.

Mike