Barometer Spike

humesy

Anyone seen the barometer?

It has just spiked 1.1 points in 1/2 hour, having dropped steadily since last night. Wind is out of the NWN and strengthening. We are due for a SW change. Is this prime barometric conditions for a feeding frenzy (Byron and others). Am I been reading it right and should I go to the top of the class or should just I get a smiley stamp for trying?

Cheers

Edited by humesy

Anyone seen the barometer?

It has just spiked 1.1 points in 1/2 hour, having dropped steadily since last night. Wind is out of the NWN and strengthening. We are due for a SW change. Is this prime barometric conditions for a feeding frenzy (Byron and others). Am I been reading it right and should I go to the top of the class or should just I get a smiley stamp for trying?

Cheers

Owing to a daily atmospheric tide effect, the pressure will normally fall by about three hectopascals between 9 am and 3 pm and will rise by a nearly similar amount between 3 pm and 9 am, even if weather systems are stationary. A smaller rise and fall occurs during the night and early morning. These daily (diurnal) changes must be allowed for before you can really say whether pressures are rising or falling due to weather systems. The best way to avoid this difficulty is to observe changes over 24-hour periods, using your movable set pointer. In other words, check your barometer at the same time each day.

When there is a fairly large fall, say more than seven hectopascals in 24 hours, you can assume that a high is moving away or that a depression is approaching or both.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mariner

Andrew at the moment we are experiencing cold upon cold from southerlies and the frequent change to a westerly direction is only adding more cold which does have an affect on estuary and inshore fish which we know as table fish. However, although fish do liven up during the onset of bad weather, what we are experiencing has been going on for too long without a break and the hardy rubbish fish have been thriving.

A short rise kicked in today, and allowing for an overnight drop, a rise of a couple of points in the afternoon is still a good rise which is bound to have something else feeding apart from the rubbish.

Such a rise is particularly helpful if you are handy to a waterway provided that the pressure is rising at the time . General activity is known to go quiet as it steadies as shown below. A sudden fluctuation either way from there would liven up the bite.

Yesterday's sharp fluctuation is more like what you would be looking for. Notice how the pressure dropped from 1017 to 1004. It didn't keep dropping into a big low, so it would be the time for the general bite to liven up.

If it did drop into a shutdown low, the fish would have fed before you got there and someone else on the water at the time, might have got fish with a sharp fluctation that stops and steadies at that figure.

A fluctuation gives fishermen more incentive to go when other factors line up reasonably well. Good results go hand in hand with fluctuations, except when the pressure keeps falling into a big low which I'm sure others have found to be the case. Such a fall is a happening that you can't predict. You may not be there at the time fish stock up which is generally hours before a steady pressure needle starts to move into an extreme low which fortunately is not the case at the moment.

Today's Minimum 1003 hPa

Maximum 1005 hPa - ( the result of a rise in pressure )

Yesterday's Minimum 1004 hPa (the result of a fall in pressure)

Maximum 1017 hPa

Andrew you are in a good position to go for a quick beach fish. Keep your eye on the barometer, and when the pressure starts to fluctuate noticably again, grab your beach rod and let's know if better fish get to the baits before those Port Jackson's and similiar come in fossicking for food.

Watch the clouds go away and the skies start to clear as the pressure starts to rise again. That would be a good time to try again for the next high tide and you should get fish and more so the more the pressure rises up to and above the accepted "normal fishing" reading of 1016.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

i've been trying to work this out for 20 years[yes i'm not to smart]

predicting when this will happen is like throwing bulls eyes in darts[i do'nt play darts]

you get it right every so often with a spike and tide and location

i'll give you an example

we had trolled south head to bondi on a friday morning for 3 bonito

started at 6.00 with a high tide at 7.00 all fish were caught at high tide till 8.30am a slow morning with plenty off bait on the sounder but 2 to 3 passes had to be made to get a stike,it was a sunny day

the next day we started same time only the weather was over cast

same bait at the same locations we had to work the spots to get a strike

then a thunder storm started brewing we were at bondi so we headed back

a few clapps of lightning and the fish went berko every thing we had in the water was getting hit

we had 4 lures out before the storm all fish were on the red and white halco

when they went berko every lure was getting smashed

even when we stopped to fight a fish the floating lures we getting hit just sitting there

this was all ass as we were just there at the right time and the frenzy only lasted 1 hour

i've tryed to get the same sernerio since but as i say like trowing bulls eyes

but i have been on the water since with a change aproching and the fishing has picked up but not like that day

i think we need a fishing crystal ball

i do'nt think there is a plotable formula but the ability to see what might happen must improve your chances of hitting the bulls eyes

gary

i've been trying to work this out for 20 years[yes i'm not to smart]

........predicting when this will happen is like throwing bulls eyes in darts[i do'nt play darts]

.......you get it right every so often with a spike and tide and location

i'll give you an example......we had trolled south head to bondi on a friday ......then a thunder storm started brewing .....a few clapps of lightning and the fish went berko every thing we had in the water was getting hit

.........we were just there at the right time and the frenzy only lasted 1 hour

.........i think we need a fishing crystal ball

........i do'nt think there is a plotable formula but the ability to see what might happen must improve your chances of hitting the bulls eyes

gary

Hi Gary

Athough not the only factor to consider, for years fishermen have gone off barometric pressure readings, sudden rises and falls and pressure stabilty, to determine and record what they have found to be the best times to fish. By checking the barometer readings regularly, and by taking a note of the conditions when they have consistently found over time as to when they had their worst results, fishermen are able to establish a general pattern in regards to how barometric pressure affects their fishing results.

Rather than just going out to try their luck, there is no doubt about the fact that some fishermen are able to successfully establish the best time to go by going off a barometer. They are also able to determine shutdown times when it's not worth fishing at all in saltwater and freshwater rivers and estuaries.

After yesterday's low pressure reading of 1005 millibars in the late afternoon, the pressure began to rise quite remarkably during the early morning today. A good time to go out would be during the sudden rise which meant we would have a much better type of atmosphere than we experienced yesterday.

It is a sudden change in conditions that affects fish habits whether the conditions be good or bad such as a massive storm coming on, when the pressure is outside of a low front that is, and in today's case recovering weather and rising barometric pressure signifies an improvement in the feeding habits of fish.

These are the current Barometic conditions Maximum Barometric Pressure: 1014 hPa at 08:59 and RISING!

Minimum Barometric Pressure: 1003 hPa at 15:11 As you can see this is not small pressure rise but a very substantial rise going towards and beyond 1016milibars, a figure which has long been regarded as the reading which fishermen need to experience "normal fishing".

Barometric pressure affects the atmosphere and a nice change in the atmosphere around us is what makes us "go out", and conditions in the atmosphere have an obvious and similiar affect on the behaviour of animals, insects and marine life.

At this moment there are other factors to consider. There has been too much cold air falling upon the rivers and estuaries where poor fishing has been experienced.

Although today's barometric pressure rise to 1014 mb and rising, has led to clear skies today, the southerly and westerly aspect of the weather has been continuing on for far to long this winter to have barometric pressure alone suddenly improve the situation as it does when the other factors are good, which include the need for a change from the present cold weather.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: