Mariner Outboards

finaddict

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing a boat with a mariner 40 hp 2 stroke on the back. The boat is a Stacer 4.5 aluminum runabout and is max rated at 50hp. Boat weighs approx. 400 odd kilos.

I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on mariner outboards? how reliable? common problems? overall build? etc. And also do you think the 40 hp engine is sufficient.

I will mainly be fishing the harbour and as far out as the heads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks again,

Most of them are a Mercury with a different cowl. I think you have to go back some time to find a Mariner that is different to a Mercury. Huey would know more, but if its a late model then its a Mercury.

I have a 4.5m Stacer runabout (also 400kg) and it is powered by a 2 stroke 50hp Yamaha. My boat is rated to 60hp max. It does the job quite well with the 50 and gets up on a plane quite quickly with 2-3 people on board. Of course it takes a bit longer with 4-5 people. So I guess it's a question of how many people (consider weight) you may have on board regularly. Other considerations are:

• are you thinking of towing anyone behind your boat;

• where you will be doing most of your boating, eg some estuaries (or parts of) where you might not get to crank it up often;

• and of course fuel economy.

Hope that's of some help!

Cheers,

Cam

as long as you dont plan on waterskiing that engine will be fine on that boat

but if you are buying new you might want to look at other brands. when i last looked at marina /mercs in 40hp 2 stroke you dont get oil injected or hydrolic lift. like you would with yamaha

The mariner I had on my last boat was a 2006 40hp 2 stroke, and was oil injected and had power trim/tilt.

Hi, Merc and Mariner have been the same for about the last 25 years. Early Mariners were made by Yamaha and marketted under the Mariner label. They were generally second tier technology that Merc passed down.

New Mariner are as the guys have said are the same as Merc (Mariner are just an international brand now-not sold in the US), just with a grey lid and are nice engines. They make 2 40HPs new, one is a twin cylinder with P/T/T and oil injection and another which is a 3 cylinder with or without P/T/T but both have oil injection. The 3 Cylinder is bascially the Tohastu, becasue Merc owns 50% of TMC and get them to make some engines.

On the boat you are thinking of the 2 cylinder is more torqueing, but the 3 cylinder is smoother running.

What is the age of the outboard and boat, because a few years ago there was the 3 cylinder US made 40HP Merc and Mariner and they were the same as the 60HP and one of the best little engines ever made and if it has that engine on the back they are great.

Cheers,

Huey.