I Was At Narrabeen & Mona Vale Last Weekend

arpie

Hi guys

I headed down to Sydney late last week to catch up with family & of course, factored in a few days at my brother Sail's place at Collaroy, to hopefully get into some fishing/blackies at Mona Vale or Narrabeen Lake.

Unfortunately, the fish hadn't read the script (and it was bloody cold as well) & apart from some throwbacks, I didn't manage to land any keepers!

Luckily, i was able to hookup with Luderick59 & we fished Narrabeen Lake together & Peter caught a very nicely conditioned blackie that went 32 cm, which he very kindly donated to me, as a peace offering to Sails for not bringing home more fish! :wacko: That was my first doughnut at Narrabeen! :( Ne'er mind, I found some nice weed, so was happy with that! :yahoo::thumbup:

Tried Mona Vale as well, the next day, with no luck either! Managed to find some cabbage, which is now safely in my fridge tho. When I was walking towards the pool (with my keeper bag tied around my waist, in anticipation of using it ......) I walked across the little 'gutter' to the foot path & noticed my bag was no longer around my waist :( & turned around to see it in the gutter, heading out to sea with a wave that had caught it! :1badmood: A well presented cast managed to hook the errant keeperbag & it put a nice bend on the rod too! :) WIth no action there, I headed back to Narrabeen (where I had heard of fishing success on both in & out tides ...) and was disappointed to have even less success than the day before! :(

Luckily, Peter & his wife happened by for a walk, & it was a good excuse to give up the fishing & so I joined them for a hot coffee & some chippies in the cafe across the road! Yum! It was great catching up again, Peter - look forward to you guys visiting up here when convenient to you, so I can show you my back yard!

Not one of my more successful fishing forays, but - that's why it is called Fishing, not Catching!

Cheerio

Roberta

Unlucky Roberta!

I managed to get out to narra lake on Monday Morning for a quick attempt on blackies.. not even a a single down! :(

Plan B was originally to bring the beach gear and try Narra Beach.. kicking myself for bringing plastics instead, and opting to flick around the lake, and then Sydney harbour... cos when I went to check the beach, there was a nice pod of about 10 - 15 dolphins marauding the beach which could only mean there must've been a bit of food around... ah well :05:

Glad you left me some weed.... cos it was obvious that somebody had definitely been harvesting at Spot A!!! :1prop:

Spot B remains untouched :biggrin2:

I walked across the little 'gutter' to the foot path & noticed my bag was no longer around my waist sad.gif & turned around to see it in the gutter, heading out to sea with a wave that had caught it! 1badmood.gif A well presented cast managed to hook the errant keeperbag & it put a nice bend on the rod too!

woah

i commend you on the cast

Hi Throwmeafish -

shame - next time~! I was at the lake from about 11.30am on the monday! Tried Mona Vale first!

hehehe - I bet I was at neither of your spots ..... but look forward to foraging with you next time I am down! :);) For both fish & weed~ :)

Cheerio

Roberta

hey guys

I was also at Narrabeen lake on sunday arvo. in our tinny.

We fished the back of it near the sport and rec. camp and only got a few small bites.

With only 15 mins left we moved to the bridge and straight away caught 3 small snapper.

Hope to see you guys out there one time

Cheers, Jack :biggrin2:

I went down Narrabeen 2 weeks ago and threw out a very large poddy mullet. I put the rod in a rod holder in the sand outside the caravan park, took the drag off and waited. About 30 minutes later I saw the rod flick out of the corner of my eye and then the rod seemd to have a heavy lean on it. Tightened the drag and struck and was on to what I suspect was a large flattie. overtightened the drag and was reaching down to loosen it when the leader broke (4lb braid and some light fc). :mad3:

Re-rigged and sent out some smaller poddies which accounted for a couple of what would have been undersize flatties around 30cm.

I have been once only since then for zero.

Spence

shame - next time~! I was at the lake from about 11.30am on the monday! Tried Mona Vale first!

hehehe - I bet I was at neither of your spots ..... but look forward to foraging with you next time I am down! :);) For both fish & weed~ :)

I would have just missed u! I fished the lake for blackies from about 9am till 10:30 on the run up... first time I've tried for blackies... So I hope I was in the right spot... did you find a pair of sunnies where you were? not mine.. were there on arrival.. if so.. we fished the same spot for zip! by 11:30 I'd moved towards the back of the lake after watching the dolphins for a good 15-20 minutes...

hey guys

I was also at Narrabeen lake on sunday arvo. in our tinny.

We fished the back of it near the sport and rec. camp and only got a few small bites.

With only 15 mins left we moved to the bridge and straight away caught 3 small snapper.

Hope to see you guys out there one time

Cheers, Jack :biggrin2:

Mate should definitely catch up for a fish some time.. yet to land a fish from the lake.. but i won't give up!

Had one solid hookup on a flatty once but lost him to a head shake at the surface when he saw the tinny... :ranting2:

AJ :1fishing1:

Edited by throw me a fish

Hi AJ

No, I didn't see any sunnies - were they in the water? Were you in the water, wading for blackies, or fishing from the tinny at that point?? The spot is directly opposite the car park (opposite the cafe.) You can see the really shallow bits from the bridge, almost right up to the carpark, then there is a 'bay' of steep dropoff. on the in tide, you fish into the steep dropoff from the edge of the shallows, which requires waders in winter as the water is much colder than the beach/surf. Shame the flatties weren't bigger. :( If in the boat, most tend to anchor up near the buoy opposite the car park (or else they'd really bug the ones wading!)

Spence! What can I say! Bummer!! More fish are lost due to tightening the drag upon trying to land them ..... that is really when you should loosen it a bit ..... cos you are pretty sure they will try to bolt!! Better luck next time!

Jack - hopefully we can have a mini blackie social next time I am down!! Keep in touch with AJ & Luderick59 - I am sure they will be back soon! About 6 of us were trying to get together for a fish on Sun, but due to family commitments & missed messages ...... it ended up being only Peter & I. Probably just as well, as it was windy, cold & very few fish! Monday was much nicer, with no cold wind, but still no fish. :(

Roberta