Ray And Hutcho Broughton Island Weekend

Ray R

Hi Raiders, well all the planning and sleepless anticipation was spoilt by very strong winds, we could only get out on the water for one full day and half a day on Sunday.

The time we could get out wasn't too bad but we had to hug in close to any sheltered area around the island it was still uncomfortable though, we did manage one good snapper on Saturday Hutcho caught him , a nice model at 49cms, then he got ripped off by a monster , I watched the line getting stripped of his reel , it was a biggen, anyway we battle back through the choppy seas to Nelson Bay.

The next day was a little better early in the morning so off we went to Broughton and took a very good friend of ours Phil who had never seen a snapper caught on a plastic, so we found a nice calmish spot and started flicking plastics and he soon got the hang of it , well he was into his first fish and even though it was only a sergeant baker , he was thrilled to bits he couldn't believe it , then shortly after that I hooked something healthy, it was giving my new outfit a work out , Phil grbbed the net and after a brutal battle we had a big fat 55cm snapper in the boat, after a couple more ooglies I go off again and in comes a nice 45cm snapper. Through the morning we all managed to get a few more small snapper but no more of the larger ones.

After all this we could see the wind starting to pick up a bit so we headed back, huge chop and south westerly , mate Hutchos little coastrunner did a mighty job to get us back and it took all his guile to us safe and home safely.

So there you have it , we thought it would have been better but the wind had other ideas, at least we managed a few nice Snapper and it was good to get away and have a fish with great mates.. Cheers Raiders....

post-3371-1218433881_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1218433901_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1218433925_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1218433945_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1218433967_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1218434013_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R

That's a damn shame about the weather Ray :mad3:

Good to see you managed to salvage a couple of sessions though, which produced some very nice fish. The fish in the photos look like they're in good nick and would make for a quality feed :thumbup:

Well done fellas

Hodgey

I'd be happy with that result given the circumstances :thumbup: . Like I always say to my wife "It's hard to get all the ducks to line up". You plan the w/e, book the mates, boats rarin', gears in good order, but your at the mercy of the mother nature!

Just wondering.....did you mix it up with any bottom bashing?

Cheers,

Cam

I'd be happy with that result given the circumstances :thumbup: . Like I always say to my wife "It's hard to get all the ducks to line up". You plan the w/e, book the mates, boats rarin', gears in good order, but your at the mercy of the mother nature!

Just wondering.....did you mix it up with any bottom bashing?

Cheers,

Cam

G'day Cam, no we didn't, we wanted to and had the gear and the bait but just couldn't get there due to the wind , just had to hide in close and flick plastics.. Cheers..

nice fish, i do alot of fishing up that way, best SP for snapper HAS too be at The Guts, on the eastern side of north island, seen so many snapper come from there and also heaps of kingies. The inner V produces the Big boys but only of a night time and live slimies, duffy pulled a 30lber from there 2 weeks ago

Hey Ray,

damn shame about the wind. The curse of us fishos.

Nice reds but a pity about losing the smoker.

Good to see we're not the only ones who take too much gear.

Those reddies are nice and plump mate and dont they go good.

Hi Nightstalker, never seen wind like it, didn't get to the reef bits to float out the Pillies,

had to stick in very close to the bottom part of the island and flick our plastics,

and yes that 55cm model I caught put up a great fight.. Cheers..

Hey Mondo,

Nice report and I notice Buddy's cartoon of you know features. Raiders should know that you actually do look like that!!!! Thanks mate for a great weekend I reckon we would have slayed them if we could have had more time on the water.

Anyway a trip away with ya mates, is a good trip, I won't forget our slog back to NB in a hurry thats for sure.

Regards Hutcho