Sydney Wide 6/2

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

What a cracker of a day to be out on the water :biggrin2:

It started out that Narralakes and myself were going to fish Narraeen in Narra's 3m tinnie. As it turned out a mate of mine who has a 600RF Signature invited us both out for a chance at a stickface.

Leaving Tunks Park at 6.00 we only found cold water at 12 mile so we continued on towards Browns Mtn - at around the 60 fathom mark the water temp started to climb up to the mid 22's and the water had lost its green colour. Things were starting to look good and I thought that today we may have a chance of a fish or two when suddenly the Cockroach on the long corner goes off. Not a big fish but a nice little yellowfin on the skipper's rod.

From there til Brown's there was a noticeable lack of birds and except for the occasional pod of dolphins, nothing was seen. Out at Brown's the wind had picked up from the SW to about 12 knots. As this was Narra's first time on the blue water and he'd left his seasick pills behind, we thought the only proper thing to do was let Narra have a bottom bash in 1400ft of water.

1st drop and he comes up empty but knowing he wouldn't have to go to the gym for a workout. 2nd drop and Narra comes up tight [is there any other way in 1400 ft with almost a kilo of lead for a sinker?] and after a seemingly endless tussle with a combination of sinker, line stretch and piscatorial oddity, Narra proudly boats his first Gemfish. :thumbup:

Narra starts to look a little green after the next unproductive drop so we decide to do a little more trolling on the way back in and he comes good quickly.

About 5klm east of the shelf the water is still in the mid 24's and we see a number of dolphins on the surface. Minutes later and a marlin takes of heading north but without any knowledge of our spread of lures - at least we saw one.

Five minutes later the lumo cockroach on the short rigger gets absolutely hammered and the marlin, a black of around 100 kilos, peels off around 300 metres of 15kilo line before taking to the air. Two jumps and nothing. Wind in, line broken at the bimini twist. Verbal note never tie a bimini twist again :1badmood: use another knot.

We continued trolling for about another hour and except for a pod of pilot whales nothing else was sighted. Those pilot whales were an absolutely incredible sight with a few of them being albino. Narralakes may have some photos of them - mine didn't turn out.

As I said, a cracker of a day to be on the water particularly in good company. Thanks Narra and Trev for a great day out. Pics to follow.

Guest bluecod

The first pic shows Narralakes putting the hurt on himself winding up from 1400ft

The next two photos are of the incredibly smooth conditions out wide today and the last picture is of Narralakes with his Gemfish

Edited by bluecod

nice work.

sounds like you guys had a good day.

pity about the marlin.

i spend so much time double checking my terminal tackle. it sux. but it does avoid a few probs. but you always fall down to common bad luck.

next time mate.

at least you guys raised a beakie. so youve definetly done better than anyone else!

Thanks heaps to Bluecod and Trev for allowing me to come out and try my first time at blue water fishing. It was everything I expected it to be and much more. When George said Trev asked if I wanted to go try for marlin, I thought, hmmmm, Narrabeen Lakes can wait till next week, it was try out my new 5 wt or try catching something in the big blue sea, and how blue it was when we finally got out there. As George said, it was my first time and it was nothing short of spectacular, thankfully no technicolour yawn. Boundless seas, some very exciting moments with first slimeys on fly, we only hooked one but dropped it, but it was a taste of a real boil up for me. Then the tuna, gemfish and marlin, which jumped just like in the fishing shows! Bad luck George, next time for sure! It was good and I learnt heaps from two knowledgable and skillful fisherman, great company and again thanks for the day. Hope you and Trev have a great time in SWR, I'm sure you guys will pick up a "beakie" or three up there. :thumbup:

Guest Big-Banana

Where you boys were was definately the place to be. Great work guys. A 100kg Marlin sounds great :thumbup: Shame about the breakoff but raising one would have made me go home happy. Hot water seems to be very patchy atm. Hoping it comes good.

Good work with the Gemfish Ken :thumbup:

I think we were 45 kms out, but Bluecod can confirm that,

cheers

30798[/snapback]

Yep - thats wide alright.

I like to fish Botany Bay Narrow myself ... :1prop:

From Sydney I reckon anywhere east of the Peak is wide. But it is all relative to the boat you are fishing out of.

k

Guest bluecod

Golden,

I don't know that if there is a "true" definition of what "wide" is. Narra was correct in that we were about 45 klms out, but I think a definition of "wide" is a personal issue.

In my own 4.3 m boat I would consider "wide" to be around 16klm - somewhere to be fished when the weather was exceptionally good, in the boat we were in, I think 45 klms is "wide", others in large game boats may consider "wide" to be around 100klms or even further.

No matter how far offshore you may venture, unless you can get back in safely if the weather blows up a bit you shouldn't be going in the first place - that means checking weather reports and charts before you go, listening to weather reports when you're out and not leaving the return trip too late and only if ALL your safety gear is up to scratch.

Yep, they do look prehistoric, but they taste beautiful. The Mrs cooked some of the fillets tonight and with the kids and us, it didnt last long. The meat was a nice soft texture, sort of reminded me of deep sea perch, just lightly fried with a bit of salt and pepper, mmmmmmmmmmmm! As for the definition on "wide", in my 3 metre punt, "wide" is just looking at the heads, but one day I'd love to get a vessel to go out "wide" every now and then, yesterday's experience might make me save harder.